Approximation of Measures by Fractal Generation Techniques
- 259 Downloads
In this paper we discuss the constructive approximation aspects of a measure generating technique that was developed in the last decade by fractal geometers. Measures are generated as stationary distributions of Markov chains that are related to function iteration. The general framework provides a robust machine for constructing parametric families of measures and is, thus, very well suited for measure approximation problems. This formalism — called iterated function system theory — has found application in computer image synthesis and image compression. In fact some of the early work was motivated by a desire to create more realistic images for flight simulators. Other areas of potential application include dynamical systems, signal processing - especially chaotic signals, and quadrature theory.
KeywordsInvariant Measure Gaussian Quadrature Iterate Function System Bernoulli Polynomial Target Measure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BaG]G. A. Baker, Jr. and P. Graves-Morris, Padé Approximants, Addison-Wesley, 1981.Google Scholar
- [Ber]M. A. Berger, Random affine iterated function systems: smooth curve generation, preprint.Google Scholar
- [BeD]D. Bessis and S. Demko, Stable recovery of fractal measures by polynomial sampling, CEN-Saclay preprint PhT 89–150, 1989.Google Scholar
- [DaLa]I. Daubechies and J. C. Lagarius, Two-scale difference equations, I. Existence and global regularity of solutions, to appear in SIAM J. on Math. Anal.Google Scholar
- [D]S. Demko, Euler Maclauren type expansions for some fractal measures, Fractal ’90 Proceedings, to appear.Google Scholar
- [HaM]C. Handy and G. Mantica, Inverse problems in fractal construction: moment method solution, to appear in Physica D.Google Scholar
- [J]A. E. Jacquin, A novel fractal block-coding technique for digital images, Proceedings of ICASSP ’90, to appear.Google Scholar
- [L]D. M. Lehmer, A new approach to Bernoulli polynomials, Amer. Math. Monthly, December, 1988, pp. 905–911.Google Scholar
- [WG]J. C. Wheeler and R. G. Gordon, Rigorous bounds from moment constraints, In: The Padé Approximant in Theoretical Physics, editors G. A. Baker, Jr. and J. L. Gammell, Academic Press, 1970.Google Scholar