Pollen Allergens: Molecular Cloning and Mechanism for Pollen-induced Asthma
Grass pollen is the major outdoor environmental factor provoking the immediate hypersensitive response of allergic disease in about one in five of the human population (see review by Howlett and Knox,1984). The symptoms are induced by the production of specific types of human defence molecules of the immune system, especially Immunoglubulin E (IgE). Allergens are environmental antigens which induce the formation of specific IgE, and bind specifically to IgE on the surface of epithelial mast cells. This triggers the mast cells to release the mediators of allergy.
KeywordsStarch Granule Grass Pollen Pollen Allergen Lolium Perenne Cyanogen Bromide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ansari AA, Shenbagamurthi, P, Marsh, DG. Complete amino acid sequence of a Lolium perenne (perennial rye grass) pollen allergen, Lol p II. J. Biol. Chem. 264: 11181 – 11185, 1989a.Google Scholar
- 2.Ansari AA, Shenbagamurthi, P, Marsh, DG. Complete primary structure of a Lolium perenne (perennial rye grass) pollen allergen, Lol p III: Comparison with known Lol p I and Lol p II sequences. Biochem. 28: 8665 – 8670, 1989b.Google Scholar
- 3.Ansari AA, Kikhara TK, Marsh DG. Immunochemical studies of Lolium perenne (Rye grass) pollen allergens, Lol p I, II, and III. J. Immunol. 139: 4034 – 4041, 1987.Google Scholar
- 8.Howlett BJ, and Knox RB. Allergic interactions. Enc. Plant Physiol. 17: 656 – 673, 1984.Google Scholar
- 12.Matthiesen F, and Lowenstein H. Group V allergens in grass pollens—1. Purification and characterisation of the group V allergen from Phleum pratense pollen, Phi p V. and II. Investigation of group V allergens in pollens from ten grasses. Clin. Ex. Allergy. 21: 297–307, 309 – 320, 1991.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Perez M, Ishioka GY, Walker LE, and Chestnut RW. cDNA cloning and immunological characterisation of the rye grass allergen Lol p I. J. Biol.Chem. 265: 16210 – 16215, 1990.Google Scholar
- 15.Singh MB, Hough T, Theerakulpisut P, Avjioglu A, Davies S, Smith P, Taylor PE, Simpson RJ, Ward L, McCluskey J, Puy R, Knox RB. Isolation of cDNA encoding a newly identified major allergenic protein of rye grass pollen: Intracellular targeting to the amyloplast. Proc Nat Acad Sci, USA. 88: 1384 – 1388, 1991.CrossRefGoogle Scholar