Effects of Inflow Disturbances on Spatially-Evolving Instability in Plane Channel Flow
A computational study examining the effects of varying inflow disturbance conditions on spatially evolving channel flow instability is presented. The inflow conditions consist of a 2-D perturbation wave coupled with a 3-D random noise field. The 2-D amplitude is varied in order to examine the resulting transition characteristics of the channel. At low 2-D amplitudes (A2d = 1.25%) H-type or subharmonic characteristics dominate while at higher amplitudes (A2d = 2.5% and 3.25%) mixed H-and K-type instabilities occur.
KeywordsVortex Vorticity Peri Dition Boulder
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Danabasoglu, G., Biringen, S., and Streett, C. 1990 Numerical simulation of spatially-evolving instability, in Instability and Transition, pp. 394–407, Springer-Verlag, New York.Google Scholar
- Danabasoglu, G., Biringen, S., and Streett, C. 1991a Numerical simulation of spatially-evolving instability in plane channel flow, AIAA Paper No. 91–0234.Google Scholar
- Herbert, T. 1983b Subharmonic three-dimensional disturbances in unstable plane shear flows, AIAA Paper No. 83–1759.Google Scholar
- Nishioka, M., Asai, A., and Iida, S. 1980 An experimental investigation of the secondary instability, in Laminar- Turbulent Transition, pp. 37–45, Springer-Verlag, New York.Google Scholar
- Ramazanov, M. 1985 Development of finite-amplitude disturbances in Poiseuille flow, in Laminar- Turbulent Transition, pp. 183–190, Springer-Verlag, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Singer, B., Reed, H., and Ferziger, J. 1986 Investigation of the effects of initial disturbances on plane channel transition, AIAA Paper No. 86–0433.Google Scholar
- Singer, B., Ferziger, J., and Reed, H. 1987 Numerical simu¬lation studies of laminar-turbulent transition in the plane channel, Report TF-31, Stanford University, Stanford, Cal¬ifornia.Google Scholar
- Singer, B., Reed, H., and Ferziger, J. 1989 The effect of stream- wise vortices on transition in the plane channel, Phys. Flu¬ids A 1, 1960.Google Scholar