Stability and Robustness Analysis of Dynamic Inversion Control Laws for Nonlinear Control of Fighter Aircraft
Aircraft dynamics are well modeled by a standard system of nonlinear ODEs (cf.  and ). Experience in industry shows that pilot simulations based on these nonlinear finite-dimensional models are very good.
Partition the flight envelope into several separate operating regimes (flight conditions).
In each regime, the aircraft dynamics are approximately represented by a linear model.
KeywordsNonlinear Control Global Attractor Zero Dynamic Pitch Rate Aircraft Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Akhrif, O., and Blankenship, G. L., 1988, Robust stabilization of feedback linearizable systems, Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision and Control Google Scholar
- Bugajski, D., Enns, D., and Hendrick, R., 1992, Nonlinear control law design for high angle-of-attack, NASA Hing Angle-of- Attack Projects and Technology Conference, April.Google Scholar
- Elgersma, M., 1988, Control of Nonlinear Systems Using Partial Dynamic Inversion, Ph. D. Thesis in Electrical Engineering Submitted to the University of Minnesota.Google Scholar
- Etkin, B., 1972, Dynamics of Atmospheric Flight( New York: Wiley).Google Scholar
- Heffley, R. K., and Jewell, W. F., 1972, Aircraft Handling Qualities Data, STI Technical Report 1004-1.Google Scholar
- LaSalle, J. P., 1976, The Stability of Dynamical Systems, Regional Conference Series in Applied Mathematics, vol. 25.Google Scholar
- McRuer, D., Ashkenas, I., and Graham, D., 1973, Aircraft Dynamics and Automatic Control, Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Mitchell, D., Myers, T., Teper, G., and Johnston, D., 1980, Investigation of High-Angle-of-Attack Maneuver-Limiting Factors Part III: Appendices — Aerodynamic Models, Flight Dynamics Laboratory Document AFWAL-TR-80-3141 Part III Google Scholar
- Morton, B., Elgersma, M., Harvey, A., and Hines, W., 1987, Nonlinear Flying Quality Parameters Based on Dynamic Inversion, Flight Dynamics Laboratory Document AFWAL-TR-87- 3079.Google Scholar
- Morton, B., Enns, D., and Zhang, B.-Y., Stability of dynamic inversion control laws applied to nonlinear aircraft pitch-axis models, submitted to International Journal of Control Google Scholar
- Morton, B. and Enns, D., 1991, Stability of nonlinear inversion control laws applied to nonlinear aircraft pitch-axis models, AFOSR Final Report, Honeywell, October.Google Scholar
- Reiner, J ., 1993, Control design for aircraft using robust dynamic inversion technique, Ph. D. thesis, University of Minnesota.Google Scholar
- Snell, S. A ., 1991, Nonlinear Dynamic-Inversion Flight Control of Supermaneuverable Aircraft, Ph. D. Thesis, University of Minnesota.Google Scholar
- Spick, M., 1985, Modern Fighting Aircraft F-14 Tomcat, Arco Publishing.Google Scholar
- Spong, M. W. and Vidyasagar, M., 1987, Robust linear compensator design for nonlinear robotic control, IEEE Journal of Robotics Automation, 3(4).Google Scholar
- Zhang, B.-Y. and Morton, B., Robustness analysis of dynamic inversion control laws applied to nonlinear pitch-axis models, in preparation.Google Scholar