Lasers for Treatment of Occlusive Vascular Disease
The object of this chapter is to present two approaches I have initiated that use laser energy to treat occlusive vascular disease: the Eclipse 2100 mid-infrared laser (Eclipse Surgical Technologies) and the SmartLaser (MCM Laboratories). The devices employ distinctly different strategies and technologies in laser therapy. Both are undergoing investigational trials in peripheral and coronary arteries with the hope of improving on the results of conventional therapies (i.e., balloon angioplasty and bypass surgery).
KeywordsLaser Therapy Balloon Angioplasty YSGG Laser Laser Firing Laser Angioplasty
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aretz, HT, Butterly JR, Jewell ER, Setzer SE, Shapshay SM: Effects of holmium-YSGG laser irradiation on arterial tissue: preliminary results. SPIE 1989; 1067:127.Google Scholar
- Bartorelli AL, Almagor Y, Prevosti L, et al: In vivo coronary plaque recognition by fluorescence spectroscopy. Circulation 1988;78:11–294.Google Scholar
- Bartorelli AL, Bonner R, Almagor Y, et al: Enhanced recognition of plaque composition in vivo using laser excited fluorescence spectroscopy. J Am Coll Cardiol 1989; 13(2):54A.Google Scholar
- Geschwind H, Bonner F, Boussignac G, et al: Percutaneous pulsed laser angioplasty.Google Scholar
- in humans. J Am Coll Cardiol 1988;11:107A. Geschwind HJ, Dubois-Rande JL, Boussignac G: Early and long-term results after guided pulsed laser balloon angioplasty of totally occluded arteries. Circulation (in press, 1989).Google Scholar
- Geschwind HJ, Dubois-Rande JL, Poirot J, Boussignac G: Guided percutaneous pulsed laser angioplasty: results and follow-up. J Am Coll Cardiol 1989; 13(2): 13A.Google Scholar
- Geschwind HJ, Dubois-Rande JL, Shafton EP, et al: Circulation 1988;78:11–504.Google Scholar
- Leon MB, Almagor Y, Bartorelli A, et al: Fluorescence-guided laser angioplasty in patients with femoral popliteal occlusions Circulation 1988;78:11–294.Google Scholar
- Leon MB, Geschwind H, Selzer P, Bonner R: Fluorescence guided laser angioplasty Circulation (in press).Google Scholar
- Leon MB, Prevosti LG, Smith PD, et al: In vivo laser-induced fluorescence plaque detection: preliminary results in patients. Circulation 1987;76:IV–408.Google Scholar
- Leon MB, Prevosti L, Smith P, et al: Probe and fire angioplasty: fluorescence atheroma detection and selection laser atheroma ablation. Circulation 1987;76:IV–409.Google Scholar
- Moore W, Ahn S (eds): Endovascular Surgery. Philadelphia: Saunders, 1989.Google Scholar