It was estimated that more than 180,000 new cases of breast cancer would be diagnosed among women in the United States during 1997 and that breast cancer would be responsible for 17% of women’s cancer deaths.1 Approximately one of every nine women develops breast cancer by age 85. The American Cancer Society recommends that women have their first screening mammogram by age 40, again every 1–2 years between the ages of 40 and 49, and yearly after age 50. In addition, a clinical physical examination of the breast is recommended every 3 years for women aged 20–40 and every year for those older than 40. The American Cancer Society also recommends monthly breast self-examination for women 20 years or older.
KeywordsLymphoma Adenocarcinoma Radionuclide Estradiol Washout
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Parker SL, Tong T, Bolden S, et al. Cancer statistics, 1997. CA Cancer J Clin 1992;47(l):5–27.Google Scholar
- 7.Bland KI, Copeland EM III (eds). The Breast. Philadelphia: Saunders, 1991;318–326.Google Scholar
- 18.Waxman A, Nagaraj N, Ashok G, et al. Sensitivity and specificity of Tc-99m methoxy isobutyle isonitrile (MIBI) in the evaluation of primary carcinoma of the breast: comparison of palpable and nonpalpable lesions with mammography [abstract]. J Nucl Med 1994;35:22P.Google Scholar
- 19.Nagaraj N, Waxman A, Ashok G, et al. Comparison of SPECT and planar Tc-99m sestamibi (MIBI) imaging in patients with carcinoma of the breast [abstract]. J Nucl Med 1994;35:229P.Google Scholar
- 21.Waxman AD, Ashok G, Kooba A, et al. The use of Tc-99m methoxy isobutyl isonitrile (MIBI) in evaluation of patients with primary carcinoma of the breast: comparison with Tl-201 (Tl) [abstract]. J Nucl Med 1993;34(suppl):139P.Google Scholar
- 22.Khalkhali I, Mena I, Jousnne E, et al. Technetium-99m sestamibi MIBI prone breast imaging in patients with suspicion of breast cancer [abstract]. J Nucl Med 1993;34(suppl):140P.Google Scholar
- 26.Khalkhali I, Villanueva-Meyer J, Edell SL, et al. Impact of breast density on the diagnostic accuracy of Tc-99m sestamibi breast imaging in the detection of breast cancer [abstract]. J Nucl Med 1996;37:74PGoogle Scholar
- 28.Waxman A, Nagaraj N, Kovalevsky M, et al. Detection of primary breast malignancy with Tc-99m methoxyisobutylisonitrile (MIBI) in patients with non-palpable primary malignancies: the importance of lesion size [abstract]. J Nucl Med 1995;36:194.Google Scholar
- 29.Gupta P, Waxman A, Nguyen K, et al. Correlation of Tc-99m sestamibi uptake with histopathologic characteristics in patients with benign breast disease [abstract]. J Nucl Med 1996;1122:P250.Google Scholar
- 35.Nabi HA, Seldin D, Barron B, et al. CEA-Scan radioimmunodetection of primary breast lesions: results of phase II multicenter trial [abstract]. Eur J Nucl Med 1995;22.Google Scholar
- 36.Nabi H, Rosner D, Erb D, et al. Evaluation of suspicious mammographic findings with CEA-Scan and correlation with histopathological results [abstract]. J Nucl Med 1996;238.Google Scholar