The Kahane-Peyrière theory of homogeneous independent cascades is extended to a class of finite state Markov dependent cascades. The problems of (i) non-triviality (ii) divergence of moments and (iii) carrying dimension are completely solved for this class of models. While the authors have obtained complete solutions to problems (i) and (iii), and partial solutions to (ii) in wider generality, the focus of the present paper is on fixed points of a naturally associated random recursive equation of independent interest in diverse contexts. By essentially algebraic methods of this paper we obtain complete solutions to all three problems (i)-(iii). In particular an interesting role of a “mean-reversal” symmetry in the computation of critical parameters for survival and carrying dimension is uncovered.
KeywordsSpin Glass Hausdorff Dimension Multifractal Spectrum Dimension Spectrum Survival Class
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bhattacharya, R.N. and E. Waymire (1990): Stochastic Processes with Applications, John Wiley and Sons, New York.Google Scholar
- Chauvin, B. and A. Rouault (1995): Boltzmann-Gibbs weights in the branching random walk, (this volume).Google Scholar
- Dembo, A. and O. Zeitouni (1993): Large deviation techniques and applications, Jones-Bartlett, Boston.Google Scholar
- Dubins, L. and D. A. Freedman (1967): Random distribution functions, in Proceedings of the 5th Berkeley Symposium in Probability and Statistics, University of California Press, Berkeley.Google Scholar
- Falconer, K. (1993): The multifractal spectrum of statistically self-similar measures, preprint.Google Scholar
- Graf, S., Mauldin, D. and S. Williams (1987): The exact Hausdorff dimension in random recursive constructions, Memoirs. Am. Math. Soc. 71 (381).Google Scholar
- Kahane, J.P. (1991): Produits de poids aleatoires indpendendants et applications, Fractal Geometry and Analysis (ed. by J. Belair, S. Dubac), Kluwer Academic Publ. The Netherlands.Google Scholar
- Koukiou, F. (1993): The mean-field theory of spin glass and directed polymer models in random media, preprint.Google Scholar
- Ossiander, M., E. Waymire, S.C. Williams (1994): All temperature bounds on Sherrington-Kirkpatrick spin glass and T-martingales.Google Scholar
- Waymire, E. and S.C. Williams (1995a): Multiplicative cascades: dimension spectra and dependence, Jour. Fourier Analysis and Appl. Special issue in honor of J-P Kahane, 489–609.Google Scholar
- Waymire, E. and S.C. Williams (1995b): Correlated spin glasses on trees, preprint.Google Scholar