Knots in Graphs in Subsets of Z3
The probability that an embedding of a graph in Z 3 is knotted is investigated. For any given graph (embeddable in Z 3) without cut edges, it is shown that this probability approaches 1 at an exponential rate as the number of edges in the embedding goes to infinity. Furthermore, at least for a subset of these graphs, the rate at which the probability approaches 1 does not depend on the particular graph being embedded. Results analogous to these are proved to be true for embeddings of graphs in a subset of Z 3 bounded by two parallel planes (a slab).
In order to investigate the knotting probability of embeddings of graphs in a rectangular prism (an infinitely long rectangular tube in Z 3), a pattern theorem for self-avoiding polygons in a prism is proved. From this it is possible to prove that for any given eulerian graph, the probability that an embedding of the graph in a prism is knotted goes to 1 as the number of edges in the embedding goes to infinity. Then, just as for Z 3, there is at least a subset of these graphs for which the rate that this probability approaches 1 does not depend on the particular graph.
Similar results are shown to hold in cases where restrictions are placed on the number of edges per branch in a graph embedding.
Keywordsknots graph embeddings branched polymer simple cubic lattice
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C.E. Soteros, Random knots in uniform branched polymers, Mathematical Modelling and Scientific Computing, 2, Section B (1993), pp. 747–752. (Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference on Mathematical and Computer Modelling. April 1–4,1991, University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland)Google Scholar
- N. Madras and G. Slade, The Self-Avoiding Walk, (1993), (Boston: Birkhäuser)Google Scholar
- C.E. Soteros, D.W. Sumners and S.G. Whittington, Linked p-spheres in Zd, (1997), in preparation Google Scholar
- M.C. Tesi, E.J. Janse Van Rensburg, E. Orlandini and S.G. Whittington, Topological entanglement complexity of polymer chains in confined goemetries,(1997), IMA Vol. in Math, and its Appl. (Springer-Verlag) this volume.Google Scholar
- S.G. Whittington and C.E. Soteros, Uniform branched polymers in confined geometries, Macromolecular Reports, A29(Suppl. 2) (1992), pp. 195–199.Google Scholar
- C.E. Soteros, (1997), in preparation.Google Scholar