On correlation analysis of pseudorandom numbers
In this paper we discuss the theoretical analysis of correlations between pseudorandom numbers. We present a new concept that allows to relate the discrepancy approach to the spectral test. Up to now, those two figures of merit for pseudorandom number generators were viewed as widely different. We discuss the most important examples of our approach as well as the underlying technique.
KeywordsRandom Number Generator Pseudorandom Number Integer Vector Pseudorandom Number Generator Bernoulli Polynomial
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AH94]T. Auer and P. Hellekalek. Independence of uniform pseudorandom numbers, part II: empirical results. In M. Vajtersic and P. Zinterhof, editors, Proceedings of the International Workshop Parallel Numerics ‘84, Smolenice, pages 59–73. Slovak Academy of Sciences, Bratislava, 1994.Google Scholar
- [He195a]P. Hellekalek. Correlations between pseudorandom numbers: theory and numerical practice. In P. Hellekalek, G. Larcher, and P. Zinterhof, editors, Proceedings of the 1st Salzburg Minisymposium on Pseudorandom Number Generation and Quasi-Monte Carlo Methods,Salzburg, 1994, volume ACPC/TR 95–4 of Technical Report Series, pages 43–73. ACPC — Austrian Center for Parallel Computation, University of Vienna, 1995.Google Scholar
- [HL96]P. Hellekalek and H. Leeb. Dyadic diaphony. Acta Arith., 1996. To appear.Google Scholar
- [HN96]P. Hellekalek and H. Niederreiter. The weighted spectral test: diaphony. 1996. Submitted to ACM Trans. Modeling and Computer Simulation.Google Scholar
- [JHK96]F. James, J. Hoogland, and R. Kleiss. Multidimensional sampling for simulation and integration: measures, discrepancies, and quasi-random numbers. Preprint submitted to Computer Physics Communications, 1996.Google Scholar
- [Knu67]D.E. Knuth. The Art of Computer Programming Vol. 2. Addison-Wesley, Reading, Mass., 1967.Google Scholar
- [Lee96]H. Leeb. A weak law for diaphony. Rist++ 13, Research Institute for Software Technology, University of Salzburg, 1996.Google Scholar
- [LW96]H. Leeb and S. Wegenkittl. Inversive and linear congruential pseudorandom number generators in empirical tests. To appear in ACM Trans. Modeling and Computer Simulation, 1996.Google Scholar
- [Nie95]H. Niederreiter. New developments in uniform pseudorandom number and vector generation. In H. Niederreiter and P.J.-S. Shiue, editors, Monte Carlo and Quasi-Monte Carlo Methods in Scientific Computing, volume 106 of Lecture Notes in Statistics, pages 87–120. Springer-Verlag, New York, 1995.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- [Ste80]H. Stegbuchner. Zur quantitativen Theorie der Gleichverteilung mod 1. Arbeitsberichte, Mathematisches Institut der Universität Salzburg, 1980.Google Scholar