The Features of the Solutions of Continuum Mechanics Problems
In this chapter, we consider the similarity and dimensional methods, including the construction of self-similar solutions. We also present the theory of weak discontinuities (the characteristics) and strong discontinuities (shock waves and tangential discontinuities).
KeywordsShock Wave Cauchy Problem Strouhal Number Discontinuity Surface Tangential Discontinuity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sedov, L.I.Similarity and Dimensional Methods in Mechanics(in Russian), Ninth Edition, Nauka, Moscow, 1987 [English translation made by A.G. Volkovets: Sedov, L.I.Similarity and Dimensional Methods in Mechanics, CRC Press, Boca Raton, 1993].Google Scholar
- 4.Landau, L.D. and Lifschitz, E.M.Hydrodynamics(in Russian), Nauka, Moscow, 1986.Google Scholar
- 5.Smirnov, V.I.A Course of Higher Mathematics Vol. IVBirkhäuser Verlag, Basel and Stuttgart, 1961.Google Scholar
- 7.Godunov, S.K.Equations of the Mathematical Physics(in Russian), Nauka, Moscow, 1979.Google Scholar
- 8.Rozdestvenskii, B.L. and Janenko, N.N.Systems of Quasi-linear Equations and Their Applications to Gas Dynamics.Second Edition (in Russian), Nauka, Moscow, 1978. English transl.: Systems of Quasilinear Equations and Their Applications to Gas Dynamics, Translations of Mathematical Monographs, Vol. 55, American Mathematical Society, Providence, Rhode Island, 1983.Google Scholar