Dynamical Behavior of Patterns with Euclidean Symmetry
Recent results on the dynamical behavior of patterns in two and three spatial dimensions are reviewed. Based upon spatio-temporal symmetries of patterns, it is shown that transitions to other patterns can be explained by analyzing low-dimensional model equations. Examples include the dynamics of periodically forced twisted scroll waves and transitions from rigidly-rotating spiral waves to meandering or drifting spirals.
Key wordsSpiral waves twisted scroll waves Euclidean symmetry meandering, drifting.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- D. BARKLEY, EZ-spiral: a code for simulating spiral waves, available from ”http://www.ima.umn.edu/~barkley”.Google Scholar
- Focus Issue: Fibrillation in normal ventricular myocardium, Chaos, 8(1) (1998).Google Scholar
- B. FIEDLER AND D. TURAEV, Normal forms, resonances, and meandering tip motions near relative equilibria of Euclidean group actions, Arch. Rat. Mech. Anal., to appear.Google Scholar
- M. GOLUBITSKY, V. LEBLANC, AND I. MELBOURNE, Hopf bifurcation from rotating waves and patterns in physical space, Preprint, 1998.Google Scholar
- R.-M. MANTEL AND D. BARKLEY, Parametric forcing of scroll-wave patterns in three-dimensional excitable media, Preprint, 1998.Google Scholar
- A. V. PANFILOV, A. N. RUDENKO, AND A. M. PERTSOV, Twisted scroll waves in active 3-dimensional media, Dokl. Akad. Nauk. SSSR, 279 (1984), pp. 1000–1002.Google Scholar
- B. B. PLAPP AND E. BODENSCHATZ, Core dynamics of multi-armed spirals in Rayleigh-Benard convection, Physica Scripta, T67 (1996), pp. 111–116.Google Scholar
- B. SANDSTEDE, A. SCHEEL, AND C. WULFF, Bifurcations and dynamics of spiral waves,J. Nonl. Sci., to appear.Google Scholar
- A. T. WINFREE, When time breaks down, Princeton University Press, Princeton, 1987.Google Scholar
- C. WULFF, Theory of meandering and drifting spiral waves in reaction-diffusion systems, PhD thesis, FU Berlin, 1996.Google Scholar