Performance Evaluation of an Information System: An Experiment
The process of performance evaluation of information systems (PEIS) is analyzed in this chapter. A generic model of PEIS criteria is then constructed. Measuring dimensions are identified. The application of our PEIS model over the information system life cycle is discussed. One evaluation process in a large company is described. We follow the results presented by Savolainen (1996, cf. also Savolainen, 1993, Savolainen, 1994, Savolainen, 1995). A detailed analysis and description of the PEIS process could take several books. This chapter provides a short overview and conclusions on our experiments.
KeywordsMarketing Assure Univer Oxon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bawden D. (1990) User-Oriented Evaluation of Information Systems & Services. Oxon, England: Gower.Google Scholar
- Coccia AM. (1985) Human factors in performance evaluation. ESPRIT Project No. 285 Report. R&D Area 4.1, Office Systems Science and Human Factors. Munich: IOT.Google Scholar
- Conrath DW, Dumas RI (eds.). (1989) Office support systems analysis and design. Final Report on Office Modelling, Language and OSSAD Methodology. ESPRIT Project No. 285 Report. R&D Area 4.1, Office Systems Science and Human Factors. Munich: IOT.Google Scholar
- Farbey B, Land F, Targett D. (1993) How to Assess your IT Investment. Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann.Google Scholar
- Mumford E. (1983) Designing Human Systems. Manchester, England: Manchester Business School.Google Scholar
- Savolainen V. (1991) Definition of favourable atmosphere for effective IT decisions. In Sol HG, Vecsenyi J (eds), Environments for Supporting Decision Processes. Amsterdam: North-Holland, pp. 129–140.Google Scholar
- Savolainen V. (1993) Performance evaluation of office information systems. In Wells WR (ed.), Proceedings of Ninth International Conference on Systems Engineering. University of Nevada Las Vegas, Las Vegas, pp. 340–344.Google Scholar
- Savolainen V. (1994) Dynamic performance evaluation of office information systems. In Verbraeck A, Sol H, Bots P (eds.), Proceedings of International Conference on Dynamic Modelling and Information Systems. Noordwijkerhout, pp. 85–100.Google Scholar
- Savolainen V. (1995) Analysis of the dynamic nature of information systems performance evaluation. Proceedings of the Information Systems Evaluation Workshop, European Conference of Information Systems, Athens, Greece, pp. 14–21.Google Scholar
- Savolainen V. (1996) Performance evaluation of information system in a big company. In Wells WR (ed.), Proceedings of the Eleventh International Conference on Systems Engineering. University of Nevada Las Vegas, Las Vegas, pp. 164–169.Google Scholar
- Sherwood-Smith M. (1989) Evaluation of Computer-based Office Systems. Dublin: University College.Google Scholar
- Symons VJ. (1990) Evaluation of Information Systems. Ph.D. dissertation, St. Edmunds College, Cambridge.Google Scholar