Nitric Oxide and Hypertension
Since the pioneering work of Furchgott and Zawadzki (1980), it has become increasingly clear that the vascular endothelium plays a key role in the regulation of the cardiovascular system. The discovery in 1987 that nitric oxide (NO) accounts for the vasorelaxing action of the endothelium (Ignarro et al. 1987; Palmer et al. 1987), opening the possibility of specifically inhibiting NO synthesis, greatly enlarged our understanding of endothelial physiology and gave rise to a vast new area of biological knowledge: NO physiology.
KeywordsAngiotensin Cardiol Acetylcholine Verapamil Renin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fernandezrivas A, Garciaestan J, & Vargas F. 1995. Effects of chronic increased salt intake on nitric oxide synthesis inhibition-induced hypertension. J Hypertens 15:123–128.Google Scholar
- Fujihara CK, Michellazzo SM, De Nucci G, & Zatz R. 1994. Sodium excess aggravates hypertension and renal parenchymal injury in rats with chronic NO inhibition. Am J Phys-iol 266:F697–F705.Google Scholar
- Hunt SC, Williams CS, Sharma AM, Inoue I, Williams RR, & Lalouel JM. 1996. Lack of linkage between the endothelial nitric oxide synthase gene and hypertension. J Hypertens 10:27–30.Google Scholar
- Ito A, Egashira K, Kadokami T, Fukumoto Y, Takayanagi T, Nakaike R, Kuga T, Sueishi K, Shimokawa H, & Takeshita A. 1995. Chronic inhibition of endothelium-derived nitric oxide synthesis causes coronary microvascular structural changes and hyperreactivity to serotonin in pigs. Circulation 92:2636–2644.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Larson TS, & Lockhart JC. 1995. Restoration of vasa recta hemodynamics and pressure na-triuresis in SHR by L-arginine. Am J Physiol Renal Fluid Electrolyte Physiol 37:F907–F912.Google Scholar
- Takemoto M, Egashira K, Usui M, Numaguchi K, Tomita H, Tsutsui H, Shimokawa H, Sueishi K, & Takeshita A. 1997. Important role of tissue angiotensin-converting enzyme activity in the pathogenesis of coronary vascular and myocardial structural changes induced by long-term blockade of nitric oxide synthesis in rats. J Clin Invest 99:278–287.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wolzt M, Schmetterer L, Ferber W, Artner E, Mensik C, Eichler HG, & Krejcy K. 1997. Effect of nitric oxide synthase inhibition on renal hemodynamics in humans: reversal by L-arginine. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 41: F178–F182.Google Scholar
- Zatz R, & De Nucci G. 1991. Effects of acute nitric oxide inhibition on rat glomerular microcirculation. Am J Physiol 267:F360–F363.Google Scholar