Nonlinear Regulation of End-Effector Motion for a Flexible Robot Arm
In this paper we consider the problem of controlling via state-feedback the end-effector motion of a one-link flexible robot arm described by a nonlinear dynamic model. Due to the non-minimum phase nature of the system zero-dynamics, use of pure inversion-based techniques is unfeasible. In order to obtain stable tracking of desired tip trajectories, a nonlinear regulation approach is followed. Alternate general design procedures that exploit system invertibility are presented, leading to regulators of different complexity and realtime demand. Issues about the generation of output reference trajectories and the off-line computation of the associated steady-state trajectories are discussed, using the one-link flexible arm as a case study. Simulation results obtained for a spline trajectory and for a point-to-point motion show the achievable tracking accuracy and the wide applicability of the presented control technique.
KeywordsInput Torque Output Tracking Nonlinear Regulation Flexible Robot Asymptotic Tracking
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T.J. Tarn, A.K. Bejczy, A. Isidori, and Y. Chen, “Nonlinear feedback in robot arm control,” Proc. 23rd Conf. on Decision and Control (Las Vegas, NV, Dec. 12–14, 1984), pp. 736–751.Google Scholar
- A. De Luca, “Dynamic control of robots with joint elasticity,” Proc. 1988 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (Philadelphia, PA, Apr. 24–29, 1988), pp. 152–158.Google Scholar
- A. Isidori, C.H. Moog, and A. De Luca, “A sufficient condition for full linearization via dynamic state feedback,” Proc. 25th IEEE Conf. on Decision and Control (Athens, GR, Dec. 10–12, 1986), pp. 203–208.Google Scholar
- A. De Luca and B. Siciliano, “Joint-based control of a non-linear of a flexible arm,” Proc. 1988 American Control Conf. (Atlanta, GA, Jun. 15–17, 1988), pp. 935–940.Google Scholar
- A. De Luca, L. Lanari, and G. Ulivi, “Output regulation of a flexible robot arm,” Proc. 9th INRIA Int. Conf. on Analysis and Optimization of Systems (Antibes, F, Jun. 12–15, 1990), pp. 833–842.Google Scholar