Some Results and Open Problems on the Controllability of Linear and Semilinear Heat Equations
In this paper we address the problem of null-controllability of heat equations in two different cases: (a) The semilinear heat equation in bounded domains and (b) The linear heat equation in the half line. Concerning the first problem (a) we show that a number of systems in which blow-up arises may be controlled by means of external forces which are localized in an arbitrarily small open set. In the frame of problem (b) we prove that compactly supported initial data may not be driven to zero if the control is supported in a bounded set. This shows that although the velocity of propagation in the heat equation is infinite, this is not sufficient to guarantee null-controllability properties.
We also include a list of open problems.
KeywordsHeat Equation Moment Problem Approximate Controllability Carleman Estimate Open Nonempty Subset
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S.A. Avdonin and S.A. Ivanov, Families of Exponentials. The Method of Moments in Controllability Problems for Distributed Parameter Systems, Cambridge Univ. Press, 1995.Google Scholar
- S. Bezerra, Controlabilidade aproximada para a equaçao de calor em dominios nao limitados. Controlabilidade nula, Ph.D. dissertation, Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, July 1999.Google Scholar
- T. Cazenave and A. Haraux, Introduction aux problèmes d’évolution semilinéaires, Mathématiques & Applications, Ellipses, Paris 1989.Google Scholar
- E. Fernández-Cara and E. Zuazua, The cost of approximate controllability for heat equations: The linear case, Advances Duff. Eqs., 5 (4–6) (2000), 51–85.Google Scholar
- E. Fernández-Cara and E. Zuazua, Null and approximate controllability for weakly blowing-up semilinear heat equations, Annales de l’IHP,Analyse non-linéaire, to appear.Google Scholar
- E. Fernández-Cara and E. Zuazua, Control of weakly blowing up semi-linear heat equations. In Nonlinear PDE’s and Physical Modelling (H. Berestycki and Y. Pomeau, eds.), Kliiwer, NATO-ASI series, to appear.Google Scholar
- A.V. Fursikov and O.Yu. Imanuvilov, Controllability of Evolution Equations, Lecture Notes Series #34, Research Institute of Mathematics, Global Analysis Research Center, Seoul National University, 1996.Google Scholar
- J. Henry, Contrôle d’un réacteur enzymatique à l’aide de modèles à paramètres distribués: Quelques problèmes de contrôlabilité de systèmes paraboliques, Ph.D. Thesis, Université Paris VI, 1978.Google Scholar
- O. Yu. Imanuvilov and M. Yamamoto, On Carleman inequalities for parabolic equations in Sobolev spaces of negative order and exact controllability for semilinear parabolic equations, Preprint #98–46, University of Tokyo, Graduate School of Mathematics, Komobo, Tokyo, Japan, November 1998.Google Scholar
- J.L. Lions, Contrôlabilité exacte, stabilisation et perturbations de systèmes distribués. Tomes 1 ey 2. Masson, RMA 8 & 9, Paris, 1988.Google Scholar
- K. Yosida, Functional Analysis, Springer Verlag, 1980.Google Scholar
- E. Zuazua, Some problems and results on the controllability of Partial Differential Equations, Proceedings of the Second European Conference of Mathematics, Budapest, July 1996, Progress in Mathematics, 169, 1998, Birkhäuser Verlag Basel/Switzerland, pp. 276–311.Google Scholar
- E. Zuazua, Controllability of Partial Differential Equations and its Semi-Discrete Approximations. In EDP- Chile (C. Conca et al. eds.), to appear.Google Scholar