The concept of wavelets has been discussed in the literature for a very long time. It is based on fundamental ideas which were first expressed more than a century ago in a variety of forms. However, it is only recently that significant progress has been made in the application of wavelets to practical problems in signal processing. The wavelet transform has been proposed as a flexible tool for the multiresolution decomposition of continuous time signals. The pioneering work of Daubechies in the early 1980s has shown the linkage between the wavelet and subband transform theories. Since then, there has been an explosion of interest and a flurry of interdisciplinary research and development activities on wavelet and subband transforms, and their applications [Dau90].
KeywordsInfinite Impulse Response Perfect Reconstruction Laplacian Pyramid Haar Function Quadrature Mirror Filter
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Abb94]A. Abbate, J. Koay, J. Frankel, S.C. Schroeder, and P. Das, Application of Wavelet Transform Signal Processor to Ultrasound, Proc. of the 1994 IEEE International Ultrasonic Symposium, Publ. 94CH3468-6, pp. 1147–1152, 1994.Google Scholar
- [DeC96]C. DeCusatis, A. Abbate, and P. Das, Wavelet Transform Based Image Processing using Acousto-Optics Correlators, Proc. of 1996 SPIE Conf. on Wavelet Applications, vol. 2762, pp. 302–313, 1996.Google Scholar
- [Est77]D. Estaban and C. Galand, Application of quadrature mirror filters to split band voice coding schemes, Proc. International Conference on Acoutsics, Speech and Signal Processing ICASSP, pp. 191–195, 1977.Google Scholar
- [Med95a]M.J. Medley, G.J. Saulnier, and P.K. Das, The application of wavelet-domain adaptive filtering to spread spectrum Communications, SPIE Proceedings on Wavelet Applications for Dual-Use, vol. 2491, pp. 233–247, 1995.Google Scholar
- [Mey93]Y. Meyer, Wavelets. Algorithms and Applications, translated by R.D. Ryan, SIAM, Philadelphia, 1993.Google Scholar
- [Smi84]M.J. Smith and T.P. Barnwell III, A procedure for designing exact reconstruction filter banks for tree structured subband coders, Proc. IEEE Intl. Conf. ASSP, pp. 27.1.1–27.1.4, 1984.Google Scholar