Some Aspects of One-Dimensional Finite Amplitude Elastic Wave Propagation
This chapter is concerned with certain aspects of the propagation of one dimensional waves in solids. The governing equations for the problems considered are partial differential equations in two independent variables, a spatial variable, denoted by x, and a temporal variable t. We concentrate on techniques pertinent to wave propagation and refer the reader to texts such as ,  and  for other aspects of the theory of partial differential equations. Additional information relevant to wave propagation may also be found in the books by Whitham  and Smoller .
We consider first order partial differential equations and systems of first order equations. The application of these systems to problems of one dimensional wave propagation in strings, membranes and unbounded solids is discussed.
KeywordsEntropy Propa Dition Dinates Biot
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. Courant and D. Hilbert Methods of Mathematical Physics, Vol. II, Partial Differential Equations, Wiley-Interscience, New York, 1962.Google Scholar
- 5.J. Smoller, Shock Waves and Reaction Diffusion Equations, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1983.Google Scholar
- 6.P. Lax, Hyperbolic Systems of Conservation Laws and the Mathematical Theory of Shock Waves, Conf. Board Math. Sci., 11, SIAM, 1973.Google Scholar
- 7.B. Riemann, Gesammeltte Werke, Teubner, 1896.Google Scholar
- 9.G. A. Sod, Numerical Methods in Fluid Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1987.Google Scholar
- 10.R. W. Ogden, Non-Linear Elastic Deformations, Ellis-Horwood, John Wiley and Sons, 1983.Google Scholar
- 11.A. Jeffrey, Quasilinear Hyperbolic Systems and Waves, Pitman Publishing, 1978.Google Scholar
- 12.G. C. Ciarlet, Mathematical Elasticity, Vol. 1, Three Dimensional Elasticity, North-Holland, 1978.Google Scholar
- 13.J. Englebrecht, Nonlinear Wave Processes of Deformation in Solids, Pitman Publishing, 1983.Google Scholar
- 16.J. L. Wegner, Some problems of hyperbolic wave propagation, PhD. Thesis, University of Alberta, 1988.Google Scholar
- 17.J. L. Zhong, Impact problems for strings and membranes, PhD. Thesis, University of Alberta, 1994.Google Scholar
- 18.K. Abdella, Propagation of waves in nonlinear elasticity, MSc. Thesis, University of Alberta, 1989.Google Scholar
- 24.R. J. Tai, K. Abdella and D. B. Duncan, Approximate Riemann solvers and waves in a nonlinear elastic string, Comp. Math. Applic, 21 (1991), 77-89.Google Scholar
- 27.P. M. Naghdi, Finite deformation of elastic rods and shells, in: Proc. IUTAM Symposium on Finite Elasticity, D. E. Carlson and R. T. Shield, eds., Martinus Nijhoff, The Hague, 1982, 47-102.Google Scholar
- 40.J. B. Haddow, Nonlinear hyperbolic waves in hyperelastic solids, in: IUTAM Symposium, Nonlinear waves in solids, Victoria, August 1993, Applied Mechanics Reviews, 46 (1993), Part 1, 527-539.Google Scholar