Pulmonary metastasis is identified in patients managed with primary cancer elsewhere and is vigilantly followed up. Surveillance chest X-ray generally detects pulmonary nodule that may turn out to be a metastatic nodule. Preoperative investigations should include computed tomography of the chest with intravenous contrast and rule out the presence of other distant metastasis and nonrecurrence at primary site. Various approaches are available for thoracic surgeon to resect pulmonary metastasis. Video-assisted thoracoscopic approach has been popularised recently but has some limitations when the lesion is deeper, not visualised and centrally located metastasis. Bilateral and recurrent metastasis is also amenable to surgical resection.
KeywordsPulmonary metastases Metastasectomy Soft tissue sarcoma Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery
- 4.Alexander J, Haight C. Pulmonary resection for solitary metastatic sarcomas and carcinomas. Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1947;85(2):129–46. Epub 1947/08/01.Google Scholar
- 5.Mannix EP Jr. Resection of multiple pulmonary metastases fourteen years after amputation for osteochondrogenic sarcoma of tibia; apparent freedom from recurrence two years later. J Thorac Surg. 1953;26(5):544–9. Epub 1953/11/01.Google Scholar
- 6.Thomford NR, Woolner LB, Clagett OT. The surgical treatment of metastatic tumors in the lungs. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1965;49:357–63. Epub 1965/03/01.Google Scholar
- 23.Sortini D, Carrella G, Carcoforo P, Pozza E, Sortini A. Sonographic evaluation for peripheral pulmonary nodules during video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery. Surg Endosc. 2004;18(3):563; author reply 4. Epub 2004/04/30.Google Scholar
- 25.Powell TI, Jangra D, Clifton JC, Lara-Guerra H, Church N, English J, et al. Peripheral lung nodules: fluoroscopically guided video-assisted thoracoscopic resection after computed tomography-guided localization using platinum microcoils. Ann Surg. 2004;240(3):481–8; discussion 488–9. Epub 2004/08/21.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Watanabe K, Nomori H, Ohtsuka T, Kaji M, Naruke T, Suemasu K. Usefulness and complications of computed tomography-guided lipiodol marking for fluoroscopy-assisted thoracoscopic resection of small pulmonary nodules: experience with 174 nodules. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2006;132(2):320–4. Epub 2006/07/29.CrossRefGoogle Scholar