Bronchoscopy: Rigid and Flexible
Bronchoscopy is an essential skill all practicing thoracic surgeons should acquire during their training. The interpretation of findings of bronchoscopy and therapeutic bronchoscopy has significant implications in the management and outcome of many parenchymal and diseases of tracheobronchial tree. Flexible bronchoscopy allows assessments of airways as well as some therapeutic manoeuvres that are mainly performed by the physicians. The advancement in minimally invasive endoscopic surgery has taken place in recent years allowing many additional bronchoscopic procedures such as endobronchial ablation, stenting of the airways and endobronchial valve placements for emphysema.
KeywordsBronchoscopy Foreign body inhalation Diagnostic bronchoscopy Bronchial lavage Endobronchial ablation Bronchial stenting Endobronchial valves Brachytherapy
Late Mr FJ Collins for imparting the wisdom of bronchoscopic techniques to many consultants in the United Kingdom.
Akhash V Rathinam for illustrations.
- 1.Warren W, Faber P. Bronchoscopic evaluation of the lungs and tracheobronchial tree. In: Shields T, LoCicero J, Reed C, Fiens R, editors. General thoracic surgery. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2009. p. 286–7.Google Scholar
- 3.Abbas AE. Endoscopy: bronchoscopy and esophagoscopy. In: Kaiser LR, Kron IL, Spray TL, editors. Mastery of cardiothoracic surgery. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven; 2013. p. 4–13.Google Scholar
- 4.Grillo H. Diagnostic endoscopy. In: Grillo H, editor. Surgery of trachea and bronchi. London: BC Decker; 2004. p. 162–70.Google Scholar
- 5.Du Rand IA, Blaikley J, Booton R, Chaudhuri N, Gupta V, Khalid S, Mandal S, Martin J, Mills J, Navani N, Rahman NM, Wrightson JM, Munavvar M. British Thoracic Society guideline for diagnostic flexible bronchoscopy in adults: accredited by NICE. Thorax. 2013;68(Suppl 1):i1–i44.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 7.Tournoy KG, Annema JT, Krasnik M, Herth FJ, van Meerbeeck JP. Endoscopic and endobronchial ultrasonography according to the proposed lymph node map definition in the seventh edition of the tumor, node, metastasis classification for lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol. 2009;4:1576–84.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Stout R, Barber P, Burt P, Hopwood P, Swindell R, Hodgetts J, Lomax L. Clinical and quality of life outcomes in the first United Kingdom randomized trial of endobronchial brachytherapy (intraluminal radiotherapy) vs. external beam radiotherapy in the palliative treatment of inoperable non-small cell lung cancer. Radiother Oncol. 2000;56:323–7.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar