Using 2D Contours to Model Metal Sheets in Industrial Machining Processes
The cutting and punching industrial processes can be conceptualized as material removal methods, where the sheet is being transformed as the running CNC program is being executed by the NC machine. The simulation of such processes has to take into account this increasing complexity of the metal sheet. In this work we introduce a representation based on 2D contours to model the metal sheet in such industrial processes. All the operations of the programs are transformed to Boolean operations between the sheet and the sweep of moving cylinder (cutting machines) or a complex polygon (for punching machines). As a direct application of the technique results in poor performance, a spatial subdivision has been used to increase the performance.
We thank the Basque Government Industry Department for the financial help received under the GAITEK research programme.
- 2.Cano, P.: Representation of polyhedral objects using sp-octrees. J. WSCG 10(1), 95–101 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Hook, V.: Real time shaded NC milling display. SIGGraph86 20(4), 15–20 (1986).Google Scholar
- 4.Johnson, A.: Clipper–an open source freeware polygon clipping library. http://www.angusj.com/delphi/clipper.php (2012)
- 5.Leonov, M.V.: Implementation of boolean operations on sets of polygons in the plane (1998).Google Scholar
- 6.OpenSceneGraph.: Open source 3D graphics API over OpenGL. http://www.openscenegraph.org/ (2012)
- 7.Preparata, F.P., Shamos, M.I.: Geometry: An Introduction. Springer, Berlin (1985). ISBN 0-3879-6131-3Google Scholar
- 8.Spence, A.D., Li, Z.: Parallel processing for 2–1/2D machining simulation. In: Proceedings of the Sixth ACM Symposium on Solid Modeling and Applications. ACM, SMA ’01. pp. 140–148, ISBN 1-58113-366-9 (2001).Google Scholar
- 9.Stewart, N., Leach, G., John, S.: Improved CSG rendering using overlap graph subtraction sequences. In: International Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques in Australasia and South, East Asia, pp. 47–53 (2003).Google Scholar
- 12.Zhu, W., Lee, Y.: Product prototyping and manufacturing planning with 5-DOF haptic sculpting and dexel volume updating. In: Haptic Interfaces for Virtual Environment and Teleoperator Systems, pp. 98–105 (2004).Google Scholar