The Content Level (CoMid)
This chapter provides the description of the overall architecture of the content level of convergence: the CONVERGENCE Middleware (CoMid). The chapter starts with the presentation of the MPEG-M standard, which provides the foundations for CoMid, then proceeding with a complete description of this architectural level. The key components of the Content level comprise a diversified set of middleware engines to manipulate Versatile Digital Items (VDIs), a Community Dictionary Service (CDS) and a Semantic Overlay. The set of middleware engines were partially borrowed and/or adapted from MPEG-M and partially designed and developed from scratch within CONVERGENCE, adopting the same design principles. The CDS and the Semantic Overlay, newly designed and developed by CONVERGENCE, when used together with the middleware engines, enable the semantic, content-based, publish-subscribe functionality of the platform.
KeywordsDomain Ontology Content Level Semantic Description SPARQL Query Partial View
- A. J. Ganesh, A. M. Kermarrec, L. Massoulié, Scamp: Peer-to-peer lightweight membership service for large-scale group communication, in: J. Crowcroft, M. Hofmann (Eds.), Networked Group Communication, volume 2233 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer Berlin/Heidelberg, 2001, pp. 44–55.Google Scholar
- A. M. Kermarrec, L. Massoulié, A. J. Ganesh, Probabilistic reliable dissemination in large-scale systems, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems 14 (2003) 248–258.Google Scholar
- B. Mandelbrot, The Fractal Geometry of Nature, W.H. Freeman and Company, New York, 1982.Google Scholar
- G. Grimnes, The IMDB Mapping Movie Ontology, http://www.tecweb.inf.puc-rio.br/hyperde/export/309/branches/hyperde_danielle/db/IMDB-rdfs.rdf, Last accessed 26 November 2012.
- ISO/IEC 21000-15—Information technology—Multimedia framework (MPEG-21)—Part 15: Event Reporting.Google Scholar
- ISO/IEC 21000-6—Information technology—Multimedia framework (MPEG-21)—Part 6: Rights Data Dictionary.Google Scholar
- M. Muhr, R. Kern, M. Granitzer, Analysis of structural relationships for hierarchical cluster labeling, in: Proceeding of the 33rd international ACM SIGIR conference on Research and development in information retrieval, SIGIR’10, ACM, New York, NY, USA, 2010, pp. 178–185.Google Scholar
- ISO/IEC 23006-4—Information technology—Multimedia Service Platform Technologies—Part 4—Elementary Services.Google Scholar
- P.T. Eugster, P.A. Felber, R. Guerraoui, A. Kermarrec, The Many Faces of Publish-Subscribe, in ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR), Volume 35, Issue 2, 2003.Google Scholar
- P. T. Eugster, R. Guerraoui, A.-M. Kermarrec, L. Massouli′e, Epidemic information dissemination in distributed systems, IEEE Computer 37 (2004) 60–67.Google Scholar
- R. Friedman, D. Gavidia, L. Rodrigues, A. C. Viana, S. Voulgaris, Gossiping on manets: the beauty and the beast, SIGOPS Operating Systems Review 41 (2007) 67–74.Google Scholar