Analysis of Demand Side Management Products at Residential Sites: Case of Pacific Northwest U.S.
This paper provides a quantitative approach to determine important product features that are to be included in smart thermostats. This approach is expected to help decision makers manage product design process by utilizing feedback from customer and expert focus groups. Proposed approach is also expected to help managers review competing products in the market and shape future product design specifications. Data used in the assessment model have been gathered by surveying 22 potential customers who have been living in residential areas, and a group of experts who have been working as product design engineers. Significant findings as well as weak points of the proposed approach have been discovered, and future work initiatives have been proposed.
KeywordsSmart Grid Demand Response Service Reliability Security Control Fire Control
We would like to thank Brian Muchilwa, Nathan Hadlock, Bing Wang, and Mike Hoffman for their valuable contributions to successful completion of this study.
- 1.DOE U (2004) Annual energy outlook 2004 with projections to 2025. Report#: DOE/EIA-0383Google Scholar
- 3.Bunn DW, Farmer ED (1985) Comparative models for electrical load forecasting. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 6.Gap Analysis—Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia (2008) Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gap_analysis. Accessed 15 Dec 2008
- 7.Powermand-Wireless Automation Made Simple (2008) The PowerMand executive team. http://www.powermand.com/corp/index.jsp. Accessed 12 Nov 2008
- 10.About | Smart Energy Alliance (2008, 12 12) Smart energy alliance. http://www.smart-energy-alliance.com/about/. Accessed 12 Nov 2008
- 11.OTA of congress of US, Residential Energy Conservation, Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 79-600103, pp 30–60. http://www.princeton.edu/~ota/disk3/1979/7914_n.html
- 12.Rogers EM (1995) Diffusion of innovations. Free Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 14.Kargin B, Basoglu N, Daim T (2009) Adoption factors of mobile services. Int J Inf Syst Serv Sect 1:15–34Google Scholar
- 15.Hoffman M (2008) Technology assessment meeting. (Iskin, Hadlocna, Muchilwa, & Wang, Interviewers)Google Scholar
- 16.TSC_Systems_Eng (2008) TSC systems. http://www.tscsystems.com/foreigners/english/product/TSC_Systems_Eng.pdf. Accessed 12 Nov 2008
- 17.Hallowell DL (2008) Six sigma. Analytical hierarchy process (AHP)—getting oriented. http://software.isixsigma.com/library/content/c050105a.asp. Accessed 11 Dec 2008