A Midterm Road Map for Advanced Technologies Integration in Transmission Networks
This chapter introduces the main trends which drive present and future changes of the transmission systems, as well as the new opportunities raised by advanced transmission technologies. It then details a case study for Europe: a TSO-targeted technology road map for the integration of promising innovative power transmission technologies into the Pan-European power system from 2020 to 2040. This time frame will be critical for the evolution of the European power system towards a low-carbon economy by 2050. In conclusion, some limitations of the described approach are discussed and routes to improve the present road-mapping results are hinted at. The removal of these limitations will be the subject of new key European research projects to be developed in the coming years.
KeywordsFatigue Dioxide Europe Transportation Polyethylene
- 1.European Climate Foundation: ROADMAP 2050: Practical guide to a prosperous, low-carbon Europe (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Strbac, G., Hewicker, C.: Vision on Long Term Electricity Grid Development: ECF Roadmap/Power Perspectives, Brussels 29 February 2012Google Scholar
- 3.Bakken et al. B.H. SUSPLAN Final Report, Deliverable D7.2, www.susplan.eu
- 4.SINTEF Project: Linking Global and Regional Energy Strategies (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.MIT: The future of electricity grid, http://web.mit.edu/mitei/research/studies/the-electric-grid-2011.shtml. (2011).
- 7.ENTSO-E: Ten-Year Network Development Plan (TYNDP) 2010–2020, http://www.entsoe.eu (June 2010).
- 8.European Parliament and Council: Directive 96/92/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 19 December 1996 concerning common rules for the internal market in electricity Official Journal L 027, 30/01/1997, pp. 0020–0029Google Scholar
- 9.European Commission: Green Paper “A European strategy for sustainable, competitive and secure energy” COM(2006) 105 final, 8 March 2006Google Scholar
- 10.European Electricity Grid Initiative (EEGI): Roadmap 2010–18 and Detailed Implementation Plan 2010–12, 25th May 2010Google Scholar
- 11.REALISEGRID project: http://realisegrid.erse-web.it/
- 12.European Commission: Communication from the Commission to the European Parliament, the Council, the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions “Energy infrastructure priorities for 2020 and beyond – A Blueprint for an integrated European energy network”, COM(2010) 677 final, Nov 2010Google Scholar
- 13.European Commission: Strategic Energy Technologies Information System (SETIS). http://setis.ec.europa.eu/about-setis/technology-roadmap/european-industrial-initiative-on-the-electricity-grid
- 16.ENTSO-E: Study Roadmap towards Modular Development Plan on Pan-European Electricity Highways System 2050: Way to 2050 Pan-European Power System Brussels, Belgium. https://www.entsoe.eu/systemdevelopment/2050-electricity-highways/ (2011)
- 17.European Commission: Communication from the Commission to the European Council and the European Parliament an Energy policy for Europe, COM(2007) 1 final, Brussels, 10.1.2007Google Scholar
- 18.EPRI: Electricity Technology Roadmap: 2003 Summary and synthesis Power delivery and Markets (2003)Google Scholar
- 19.KEMA: PJM Roadmap: Network operations and transmission planning (January 2007)Google Scholar
- 20.Dobbeni, D.: Re-engineering the EU Transmission System to meet the 20/20/20 EU targets EEM 09, Leuven – 27 May 2009Google Scholar