You are a first responder doctor to a car accident in the UK. There is one casualty who is unconscious, trapped in the wreckage of her car. You manage the safety of the scene and then attend to the casualty, managing her airway, breathing, and circulation. The extraction is delayed and so you are forced to deal with some life threatening injuries on scene and plan extraction. After the patient is successfully taken to definitive care by air ambulance you discuss with colleagues contrasting approaches towards pre-hospital care.
KeywordsGlasgow Coma Score Radial Pulse Advance Trauma Life Support Prehospital Care Definitive Care
- 1.BASICS.org.uk [Internet]. Ipswich; British Association of Intermediate Care; c2008 [updated 2012 Feb 18; cited 2012 Feb 28]. Available from: http://www.basics.org.uk/.
- 2.Johnson C, Anderson S, Dallimore J, Winser S, Warrell D. Handbook of expedition and wilderness medicine (Oxford medical handbooks). Oxford: OUP; 2008.Google Scholar
- 3.Atanassova V [Internet]. Tongue-blocking-airways.png; c2008 [updated 2008 Apr 26; cited 2012 Feb 28]. Available from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tongue-blocking-airways.png.
- 5.Bjerke S, Geibel J. [Internet] Emedicine: Flail chest; c2011 [updated 2012 Jan 20; cited 2012 Feb 28]. Available from: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/433779-overview.
- 6.Kolecki P, Brown D. [Internet] Emedicine: Hypovolemic Shock Clinical Presentation; c2011 [updated 2010 Mar 11; cited 2012 Feb 28]. Available from: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/760145-clinical#a0217.
- 8.NICE. Pre-hospital initiation of fluid replacement therapy in trauma. c2004 [updated 2004 Jan; cited 2012 Feb 28]. Available from: http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/11526/32820/32820.pdf.
- 9.Cowley R. The resuscitation and stabilization of major multiple trauma patients in a trauma center environment. Clin Med. 1976;83:14–22.Google Scholar
- 16.TEAM. [Internet]. Chicago; American College of Surgeons; c2008-11 [updated 2011 Jan 31; cited 2012 Feb 28]. Available from: http://www.facs.org/trauma/atls/team.html.
- 17.Anaesthesia, Trauma and Critical Care. [Internet]. Warrington; ATACC c2012 [ cited 2012 Feb 28]. Available from: http://www.atacc.net/index.asp.