Challenges and Trends Driving Telerehabilitation
With broadband Internet devices and applications exploding into the marketplace for all kinds of business and residential uses, we should expect to see uses of these devices in areas such as rehabilitation. Although we are a long way from ubiquitous use of all the new technologies in rehabilitation activities and programs, we can start to see what this emergent technology ecosystem, telerehabilitation, will look like. This chapter discusses the challenges of telerehabilitation in light of the circumstances for people with disabilities and the current trends in technology.
KeywordsNational Health Interview Survey Vocational Rehabilitation Rehabilitation Service Health Information Technology Personal Health Record
- 1.Allen E, Seaman J. Online Education in the United States. Sloan-C Report on Online Education Enrollment. Sloan Foundation. 2010. Available at: http://www.usdla.org/assets/pdf_files/2010%20Sloan-C%20Report%20on%20Online%20Education%20Enrollment.pdf.
- 2.Blumberg SJ, Luke JV. Wireless substitution: early release of estimates from the National Health Interview Survey, July–December 2008. National Center for Health Statistics. 2011. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhis/earlyrelease/wireless200905.htm. Accessed 1 Nov 2011.
- 3.Bureau of Labor Statistics. Employment status of the civilian population by sex, age, and disability status, not seasonally adjusted. Available at: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t06.htm. Accessed 1 Nov 2011.
- 4.Business Wire. Research and markets: mobile broadband in North America: forecasts and analysis 2010–2015. 2011. Available at: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110131006962/en/Research-Markets-Mobile-Broadband-North-America-Forecasts. Accessed 31 Jan 2011.
- 5.Cisco Visual Networking Index. Global mobile data traffic forecast update, 2010–2015. 2011. Available at: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns341/ns525/ns537/ns705/ns827/white_paper_c11-520862.html. Accessed 1 Nov 2011.
- 6.Comscore Press Release. ComScore Releases March 2010 U.S. online video rankings. 2010. Available at: http://www.comscore.com/Press_Events/Press_Releases/2010/4/comScore_Releases_March_2010_U.S._Online_Video_Rankings. Accessed 1 Nov 2011.
- 7.Evans D. Top 25 technology predictions, IBSG innovations practice. Cisco Internet Business Solutions Group (IBSG). 2009. Available at: http://www.cisco.com/web/about/ac79/docs/Top_25_Predictions_121409rev.pdf.
- 8.Federal Communications Commission. Broadband and health care. In: National broadband plan: connecting America, Chapter 10, p. 197. 2010. Available at: http://www.broadband.gov/issues/healthcare.html. Accessed 24 Jan 2011.
- 9.Federal Communications Commission. National broadband plan: connecting America, Chapter 1. 2010. Available at: http://www.broadband.gov/plan/1-introduction/?search=rehabilitation.
- 10.Federal Communications Commission. National broadband plan: connecting America, Chapter 9. 2010. Available at: http://www.broadband.gov/plan/9-adoption-and-utilization/?search=rehabilitation. Accessed 1 Nov 2011.
- 11.Fox S. Americans living with disability and their technology profile. 2011. Available at: http://www.pewinternet.org/Reports/2011/Disability.aspx. Accessed 24 Jan 2011.
- 12.Global Public Inclusive Infrastructure, GPII.Org. GPII and NPII discussion. Available at: http://npii.org/index.html.
- 13.Google. Adding and editing automatic captions in YouTube. Available at: http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?answer=100077.
- 14.Government Health IT. CMS counts 4,000 providers initially registering for EHR incentives. 2011. Available at: http://govhealthit.com/newsitem.aspx?nid=75862. Accessed 7 Jan 2011.
- 15.Gross G. Congress may be able to tackle tech issues in 2011, in Computer World. 2011. Available at: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9204458/Congress_may_be_able_to_tackle_tech_issues_in_2011. Accessed 1 Nov 2011.
- 16.Horrigan JB. Broadband adoption and use in America. OBI Working Paper Series No. 1. Available at: http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-296442A1.pdf. Accessed 1 Nov 2011.
- 17.Lytle N, Simpson J, Horan T, et al. AAPD. Uncovering interests and concerns about personal health record use by individuals with disabilities: results of a preliminary survey. 2010. Available at: http://www.aapd.com/site/c.pvI1IkNWJqE/b.6422581/k.6DAC/Uncovering_Interests_and_Concerns_About_Personal_Health_Record_Use_By_Individuals_with_Disabilities_Results_of_a_Preliminary_Survey.htm.
- 18.National Center for Educational Statistics. Adult literacy in America. 3rd ed. 2002. Available at: http://nces.ed.gov/pubs93/93275.pdf. Accessed 1 Feb 2012.
- 19.National Council on Disability. The impact of the Americans with disabilities Act: assessing the progress toward achieving the goals of the ADA. Washington, D.C.: John R. Vaughn; 2007.Google Scholar
- 20.Perry MJ. Computers just keep getting cheaper and better. 2010. Available at: http://www.britannica.com/blogs/2010/04/computers-just-keep-getting-cheaper-and-better-and-we-should-eagerly-await-the-days-ahead/. Accessed 1 Nov 2011.
- 21.Pleis JR, Lucas JW. Provisional report: summary health statistics for U.S. adults: National Health Interview Survey; 2008. National Center for Health Statistics. Vital Health Stat 10(242), p 36. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/series/sr_10/sr10_242.pdf. Accessed 1 Nov 2011.
- 22.Posny A. Live webcast. 2010. Available at: http://jfactivist.typepad.com/jfactivist/un_convention_on_the_rights_of_persons_with_disabilities/. Accessed 6 Dec 2010.
- 23.Rehabilitation Research and Training Center on Disability Statistics and Demographics. A NIDRR-Funded Center. 2011 Annual disability statistics compendium, Table 12.1 vocational rehabilitation—applicants: federal fiscal year 2008. Available at: http://disabilitycompendium.org/pdf/Compendium2011.pdf. Accessed 1 Nov 2011.
- 24.The United States Access Board. Section 508 facts: understanding Section 508 and the Access Board’s standards. Available at: http://www.access-board.gov/sec508/brochure.htm. Accessed 1 Nov 2011.
- 25.U.S. Census Bureau. American community survey. 2008. Available at: http://www.census.gov/acs/www/index.html. Accessed 20 Jan 2011.
- 26.U.S. Commerce Department’s Economics and Statistics Administration. Exploring the digital nation: home broadband Internet adoption in the United States. 2010. Available at: http://www.esa.doc.gov/Reports/exploring-digital-nation-home-broadband-internet-adoption-united-states. Accessed 1 Nov 2011.
- 27.U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Guidance for exchange and Medicaid information technology (IT) systems, p. 5. Available at: http://www.hhs.gov/ociio/regulations/joint_cms_ociio_guidance.pdf. Accessed 1 Nov 2011.
- 28.UNCRPD. Article 26. Available at: http://www.un.org/disabilities/default.asp?id=286. Accessed 1 Nov 2011.
- 29.UNCRPD. Historic progress of signatories. Available at: http://www.un.org/disabilities/countries.asp?navid=12&pid=166. Accessed 1 Nov 2011.
- 30.United Nations Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities. Available at: http://www.un.org/disabilities/default.asp?id=259. Accessed 1 Nov 2011.
- 31.Wikipedia. Definition of cloud computing. Available at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_computing.