Conjunctival tissue is not excised from the eye during the procedure of routine surgical enucleation, so that the tissue is available for study only in autopsy specimens, exenteration specimens or in elective surgical excision of diseased tissue. Biopsy for investigation of systemic disease is a valuable source of material for scientific investigation, but it is underutilised.
KeywordsBullous Pemphigoid Allergic Conjunctivitis Bulbar Conjunctiva Conjunctival Epithelium Impression Cytology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Folberg R, Jakobiec FA, Bernardino VB, Iwamoto T (1989) Benign melanocytic conjunctival lesions. Clinicopathologic features. Ophthalmology 96: 436–451Google Scholar
- Hoang-Xuan T, Rodriguez A, Zaltas MM, Rice BA, Foster CS (1990) Ocular Rosacea. A histologic and immunopathologic study. Ophthalmology 97: 1468–1475Google Scholar
- Holds JB, Mamalis N, Anderson RL (1990) Nodular fasciitis presenting as a rapidly enlarging episcleral mass in a 3-year-old. J Paediatr Ophthalmol Strab 27: 157–159Google Scholar
- Huntingdon AC, Langloss JM, Hidayat AA (1990) Spindle cell carcinoma of the conjunctiva: an immunohisto-chemical and ultrastructural study of six cases. Ophthalmology 97: 711–717Google Scholar
- Kriegbaum NJ, von Listow M, Oxholm P, Prause JU (1988) Keratoconjunctivitis sicca in patients with primary Sjögrens syndrome. A longitudinal study of ocular parameters. Acta Ophthalmologica 66: 481–484Google Scholar
- Lee WR (1981) The conjunctival biopsy. In: Anthony PP, MacSween RNM (eds) Recent Advances in Histopathology 11. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, pp 213–226Google Scholar
- Libert J, Tondeur M, van Hoof F (1976) The use of conjunctival biopsy and enzyme analysis in tears for the diagnosis of homozygotes and heterozygotes with Fabry disease. Birth Defects Series 12: 221–239Google Scholar
- Pokorny KS, Hyman BM, Jakobiec FA (1987) Epibulbar choristomas containing lacrimal tissue. Clinical distinction from dermoids and histologic evidence of an origin from the palpebral lobe. Ophthalmology 94: 1249–1257Google Scholar
- Rodger FC (1981) Eye disease in the tropics. Churchill Livingstone, EdinburghGoogle Scholar
- Stopak SS, Dreizen NG, Zimmerman LE, O’Neill JF (1988) Sinus histiocytosis presenting as an epibulbar mass. A clinicopathologic case report. Arch Ophthalmol 106: 1426–1428Google Scholar