Trochanteric hip fractures are, in many ways, the paradigm for treatment of musculoskeletal illness in the elderly. These fracture types occur rarely in those younger than 65 years old, and then, usually under circumstances of severe trauma or neoplasm. The challenges presented to the orthopaedic surgeon in the treatment of pertrochanteric hip fractures are many, both in and out of the operating room. Not only does the surgeon contend with osteoporosis and significant fracture comminution in attempting to achieve a stable osteosynthesis in a weightbearing limb, but he or she must be cognizant of the impact of the fracture on the patient with regard to medical well-being, mental vigor, rehabilitation and the potential for ultimate independence.
KeywordsFatigue Migration Depression Ischemia Torque
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ward FO. Human anatomy. London: Renshaw, 1838.Google Scholar
- 5.Rizzo PF, Gould ES, Lyden JP, Asnis SE. Diagnosis of occult fractures about the hip. Magnetic resonance imaging compared with bone-scanning [see comments]. J Bone and Joint Surg Am 1993;75:395–401.Google Scholar
- 7.Evans EM. Trochanteric fractures. J Bone and Joint Surg Br 1951;33:192–204.Google Scholar
- 8.Kyle RF, Gustilo RB, Premer RF. Analysis of 622 intertrochanteric hip fractures. J Bone and Joint Surg Am 1979;61:216–221.Google Scholar
- 31.Hardy DC, Descamps PY, Krallis P, Fabeck L, Smets P, Bertens CL, et al. Use of an intramedullary hip-screw compared with a compression hip-screw with a plate for intertrochanteric femoral fractures. A prospective, randomized study of 100 patients. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1998;80:618–630.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 41.Bridle SH, Patel AD, Bircher M, Calvert PT. Fixation of intertrochanteric fractures of the femur. A randomised prospective comparison of the gamma nail and the dynamic hip screw. J Bone Joint Surg 1991;73:330–334.Google Scholar
- 43.White BL, Fisher WD, Laurin CA. Rate of mortality for elderly patients after fracture of the hip in the 1980s. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1987;69:133540.Google Scholar