An Inhabited 3D Oil Platform for Immersive CSCW
- 122 Downloads
This chapter describes the implementation of an application jointly developed by BT Laboratories and Telenor Research to explore the possibilities for group-to-group collaboration within spatially immersive display environments such as the VisionDome™ and RealityCentre™, using a distributed software platform. The application investigated the issues surrounding the networking of our respective systems and the potential benefits to the oil and petrochemical industries in using telepresence as a means of collaboration.
We consider the usability of the system, and the network and hardware issues encountered during the trial and its technical implementation, as well as a more general discussion of the merits and implications for the oil and telecommunications industries.
KeywordsVirtual Reality Virtual Environment Drill String Telecommunication Industry Remotely Operate Vehicle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Isdale, J. Spatially immersive display systems, VR News, 7 (4), 23–26, 1998.Google Scholar
- Silicon Graphics Reality Centre Web site. http://www.sgi.com/rea1itycenter/overview.html.
- Visualization Summit, Oslo, Norway. 6 May 1998. http://www.sgi.com/newsroom/ press_releases/1998/may/vrsummit.html.
- Walker, G., Traill, D., Hinds, M., Coe, A., and Polaine, M. VisionDome: a collaborative Virtual environment, British Telecommunications Engineering Journal, 16, October 1996.Google Scholar
- Rimell, A. and Holier, M. Design and implementation of 3-dimensional spatial audio for immersive environments, Proceedings of the Institute of Acoustics, 19 (6), 87–94, 1997.Google Scholar
- Steed, A. Efficient navigation around complex virtual environments, Proceedings of Virtual Reality Software and Technology,15–17 September 1997, ACM VRST’97, pp. 173–180.Google Scholar
- Willard, A. and Platt, P. The ramblers guide to virtual environments, Presented at the IEE colloquium The 3D Interface for the Information Worker, 19 May 1998.Google Scholar
- Distributed Object-oriented Virtual Reality Environment (DOVRE). http://televr.fou.telenor.no/html/dovre.html.
- Odeghrd, O. and Oygard, K.A. Learning in collaborative virtual environments–impressions from a trial using the Dovre framework, Telektronikk, 92 (3–4), 51–58, 1996.Google Scholar
- Bian, T., Rongming, Z., Qiantu, W., and Guanzhong, D. Message-driven object-oriented programming: a promising solution to virtual reality construction, IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Processing Systems, 28–31 October 1997, IEEE, Vol. 2, pp. 1742–1746.Google Scholar