Light Microscopic Findings in Bladders of Patients with Interstitial Cystitis
Characteristic irritative voiding symptoms including urgency and pain
The absence of objective evidence of other diseases that could cause these symptoms (including sterile urine)
Atypical cystoscopic appearance which generally is demonstrated with the patient under anesthesia (Messing 1987) In patients with these symptoms two different cystoscopic appearances have been identified. The first patient category includes patients with an ulcer disease, as initially described by Hunner (1918). The second patient category does not display any ulcerations of the bladder mucosa, only strawberry-like hemorrhages, referred to as glomerulations. Patients with these features, which were initially described by Messing and Stamey in 1978, were said to suffer from “early interstitial cystitis.” Practically all subsequent studies of interstitial cystitis have failed to subclassify the patients according to the two different cystoscopic patterns. The histopathologic findings in patients with IC generally have been described as nonspecific (Smith and Dehner 1972: Messing and Stamey 1978). Furthermore, many urologists, especially in the USA, do not obtain transurethral resection biopsies but only forcep or cold cut biopsies, which markedly limit the material available for histopathological evaluation.
KeywordsMast Cell Interstitial Cystitis Detrusor Muscle Mucosal Mast Cell Mast Cell Count
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Enerbäck L (1966) Mast cells in rat gastrointestinal mucosa. 1. Effect of fixation. Acta Pathol Microbiol Scand 66: 298–302Google Scholar
- Enerbäck L (1985) Properties and function of mucosal mast cells. In: Gannelin CR, Schwartz JC (eds) Frontiers in histamine research. Pergamon, Oxford, pp 289ffGoogle Scholar
- Fall M, Johansson SL, Vahlne A (1985) A clinopathologic and virologic study of interstitial cystitis J Urol 133: 771–773Google Scholar
- Fall M, Johansson SL, Aldenborg F (1987) Chronic interstitial cystitis. A heterogenous syndrome J Urol 137: 35–38Google Scholar
- Harrington DS, Fall M, Johansson SL (1990) Interstitial cystitis: bladder mucosa lymphocyte immunophenotyping and peripheral blood flow cytometry analysis. J Urol (in press)Google Scholar
- Hunner GL (1918) Elusive ulcer of the bladder. Am J Obstet 78: 374–395Google Scholar
- Johansson SL, Fall M (1990) Clinical features and spectrum of light microscopic changes in the bladders of patients with interstitial cystitis. J Urol (in press)Google Scholar
- Messing EM, Stamey TA (1978) Interstitial cystitis: early diagnosis, pathology, and treatment Urology 12: 381–392Google Scholar