ISIR: An Integrated System for Information Retrieval
In this paper, we will present an Integrated System for Information Retrieval ISIR. ISIR is an experimental Information Retrieval (IR) system serving as a testbedfor the integration of modern (IR) methods. Our first approach allows the user to issue queries as weighted descriptors. ISIR is connected to a commercial database service (Data-Star) containing millions of information items. The current version of ISIR establishes automatically a Data-Star session and submits Boolean queries that have been derived from the weighted query descriptors which may be put together by means of the information structures. In order to help the user formulate queries, an inteiface to various thesauri is available, which can help the user browse through the thesauri in three different views. ISIR is based on the x Window and X-Widgets.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [ERI87]Thesaurus of ERIC Descriptors. Oryx Press, Phoenix, Arizona, 1987. 66Google Scholar
- [FRE91]Frei, H.P., Meienberg, S., Evaluating Weighted Search Term as Boolean Queries. Informatik-Fachberichte, Nr. 289. pp. 11-22. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1991.Google Scholar
- [INS88]INSPEC Thesaurus. The Institution of Electrical Engineers, Herts SG5 lRG, U.K., 1988.Google Scholar
- [MES89]Medical Subject Headings. National Library of Medicine, Bethesda. Maryland, 1989.Google Scholar
- [SCH89]Schauble, P., Information Retrieval Based on Information Structures. D.Sc. Thesis ETH, No. 8784, Reihe Informatik-Diss. Nr. 15, vdf-Verlag, ZUrich, 1989.Google Scholar