The Nature of Delay-Insensitive Computing
Delay-insensitive systems are systems whose correct functioning does not depend on delay assumptions. In this paper a gradual introduction to delay-insensitivity is given, illustrated by many examples. Precise definitions are given of delay-insensitivity, decomposition (or refinement), and speed-independence. Recent results of the associated theory are touched upon.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Clifford Barney. Logic designers toss out the clock. Electronics Dec. 9, 1985, 42–45Google Scholar
- J.A. Brzozowski and J.C. Ebergen. On the Delay-Sensitivity of Gate Networks. Computing Science Note 90/5, TU Eindhoven, 1990Google Scholar
- W. Chen, J.T. Udding, and T. Verhoeff. Networks of communicating processes and their (de)-composition in The Mathematics of Program Construction (J.L.A. van de Snepscheut, ed.). LNCS 375, Springer-Verlag, 1989, 174–176Google Scholar
- Mark B. Josephs. Receptive Process Theory. Computing Science Note 90/8, TU Eindhoven, 1990Google Scholar
- Alain J. Martin. The limitations of delay-insensitivity in asynchronous circuits in Beauty Is Our Business (W.H.J. Feijen et al., eds.) Springer-Verlag, 1990, 302–311Google Scholar
- R.E. Miller. Switching Theory, Vol. 2, Wiley, 1965Google Scholar
- Charles E. Molnar, Ting-Pien Fang and Frederick U. Rosenberger. Synthesis of delay-insensitive modules in 1985 Chapel Hill Conference on Very Large Scale Integration (Henry Fuchs, ed.) Computer Science Press, 1985, 67–86Google Scholar
- Martin Rem. Concurrent computations and VLSI circuits in Control Flow and Data Flow (M. Broy, ed.) Springer-Verlag, 1985, 399–437Google Scholar
- C.L. Seitz. System timing in Carver Mead and Lynn Conway, Introduction to VLSI Systems. Addison-Wesley, 1980, 218–262Google Scholar
- Jan Tijmen Udding and Tom Verhoeff. The Mathematics of Directed Specifications. Technical Report WUCS 88–20, Washington University, 1988Google Scholar
- C.H. (Kees) van Berkel and Ronald W.J.J. Saeijs. Compilation of communicating processes into delay-insensitive circuits in 1988 IEEE Int. Conf. on Computer Design, IEEE Computer Society Press, 1988, 157–162Google Scholar
- Alexandre Yakovlev. Designing self-timed systems. VLSI Systems Design, September 1985, 70–90Google Scholar