Bowel segments have been used for reconstruction of the bladder since the turn of the century (von Mikulicz 1899). Subsequently various authors reported the use of ileum and colon for bladder augmentation. The early results were generally disappointing, partly because most of the procedures were performed for the contracted tuberculous bladder prior to the introduction of successful antituberculous therapy and partly because intact bowel segments anastomosed to the opened dome of the bladder, the “bull-horn” cystoplasty, tended to act as a diverticulum, especially where relative outflow obstruction existed because of reduced voiding efficiency.
KeywordsBladder Neck Interstitial Cystitis Bowel Segment Urologic Surgery Bladder Augmentation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Couvelaire R (1950) La petite vessie des tuberculeaux genito-urinaires. Essai de classification place et varientes des cysto-intestino-plasties. J Urol (Paris) 50: 381Google Scholar
- Gil Vernet JM, Escarpenter JM, Perez-Trujillo G et al. (1962) A functioning artificial bladder: results of 41 consecutive cases. J Urol 87: 825–836Google Scholar
- Gittes RF (1977) Bladder augmentation procedures. In: Libertino JA, Zinman L (eds) Reconstructive urologic surgery: paediatric and adult. Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, pp 216–226Google Scholar
- Hendren WH (1982) Editorial comment. J Urol 128: 256Google Scholar
- Kuss R, Bitker M, Carney M, Chatelain C, Lassau JP (1970) Indications and early and late results of intestinocystoplasty: a review of 185 cases. J Urol 103: 594–597Google Scholar
- Mundy AR (1988) Cystoplasty. In: Mundy AR (ed) Current operative surgery: urology. Bailliere Tindall, London, pp 140–159Google Scholar
- Stephenson TP (1987) Undiversion and transplantation. In: King LR, Stone AR, Webster GD (eds) Bladder reconstruction and continent urinary diversion. Year Book Medical Publishers, Chicago, pp 154–161Google Scholar
- Thüroff JW, Alken P, Engelmann U, Riedmiller H, Jacobi GH, Hohenfellner R (1987) The Mainz pouch (Mixed augmentation ileum ’n zoecum) for bladder augmentation and continent diversion. In: King LR, Slone AR, Webster GD (eds) Bladder reconstruction and continent urinary diversion. Year Book Medical Publishers, Chicago, pp 252–268Google Scholar
- Von Mikulicz J (1899) Zur Operation der angeborenen Blasepalte. Zentralbl Chir 20: 641–643Google Scholar