Independent Safety Assessment of Rail Systems in their Operational Environment
There is an increasing use of Programmable Electronic Systems (PES) in safety related applications: some of these, including many rail systems, are large and complex. Emerging standards, and some of the regulatory authorities, require that the safety of such systems is checked independently: this is the role of the Independent Safety Assessor (ISA) which we are carrying out on behalf of two railways in Hong Kong. We believe it important that the ISA should examine the technical changes, human operation changes and technical/human changes required as a consequence of the use of the new system in the operating environment of the railway because these changes may impact safety. Our work as ISA covers audits of the development process, auditing of plans and of the adaptation of the system to the railway and assisting with preparation of the safety case. Our auditing approach is an open, exploring one using experienced staff which we believe is far more effective than a closed approach with extensive use of checklists. This conclusion is confirmed both by our clients and by those companies we have audited.
KeywordsOperational Environment Open Approach Rail System Rolling Stock Audit Report
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [MOD 91]Ministry of Defence: “Interim Defence Standard 00–56/Issue 1 — Hazard Analysis and Safety Classification of the Computer and Programmable Electronic System Elements of Defence Equipment.” MOD, April 1991.Google Scholar
- [IEC91]Functional Safety of Electrical /Electronic/Programmable Systems. Generic Aspects. IEC 65A (Secretariat) 123. 1991Google Scholar
- [CIA 87]A Guide to Hazard and Operability Studies. Chemical Industries Association Limited, 1987.Google Scholar
- [Chud 93]Chudleigh M: “Hazard Analysis using HAZOP: A Case Study” In: Górski (ed) Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Computer Safety, reliability and Security, October 1993 (Safecomp ’93) pp 99–108.Google Scholar
- [Chud 92]Chudleigh M, Catmur J: “Safety Assessment of Computer Systems using HAZOP and Audit Techniques” In: Frey (ed) Safety of Computer Control Systems 1992 (Safecomp ’92) pp 285–292.Google Scholar