The Next Generation of Fission
Like most energy sources, fission energy is constantly evolving but fission is the one energy source that has the capability of supplying our electricity demand indefinitely at lowest cost without producing greenhouse gas emissions. In this chapter we look at some current developments and see how we can make fission energy into a truly sustainable energy source. We cover the issues of fuel recycling, newer reactor technology, modular, and small reactors and finish with a discussion of fast breeder reactors to make fission energy sustainable.
KeywordsFast Reactor Thermal Reactor Electricity Demand Natural Uranium Fission Reactor
- 1.World Nuclear Association (2011) Processing of used nuclear fuel. http://world-nuclear.org/info/default.aspx?id=466&terms=reprocessing. Accessed 25 July 2011
- 2.Lightfoot D, Manheimer W, Meneley D, Pendergast D, Stanford G (2006) Nuclear fission fuel is inexhaustible, IEEE Xplore. http://computare.org/Support%20documents/Fora%20Input/CCC2006/Nuclear%20Paper%2006_05.htm. Accessed 25 July 2011
- 3.World Nuclear Association (2011) Fast neutron reactors. http://world-nuclear.org/info/default.aspx?id=540. Accessed 25 July 2011
- 4.Hyperion Power (2011) A new paradigm for power generation. http://hyperionpowergeneration.com/product.html. Accessed 25 July 2011
- 5.World Nuclear Association (2011) Small nuclear power reactors. http://world-nuclear.org/info/inf33.html. Accessed 25 July 2011