An Incremental Update Algorithm for Sequential Patterns Mining
Many real life sequences databases change over time. Some new transaction is appended and some data may be deleted. It is undesirable to mine the sequential patterns from scratch each time when a small set of sequences change. Incremental updating algorithm should be developed to deal with such situation. This paper studies the problem of incremental maintenance of frequent sequences when the underlying database is modified over time. We propose an incremental algorithm called IMSP to efficiently compute the updated set of frequent sequences, using the information collected during an earlier mining process to cut down the cost. Our performance study shows that the IMSP Algorithm outperforms some previously proposed incremental algorithms.
KeywordsMarketing Prefix Suffix
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. Agrawal and R. Srikant,. Mining Sequential Patterns,. In Proceedings of the Eleventh International Conference on Data Engineering, Taipei, Taiwan, March 1995Google Scholar
- 2.R.Srikant and R. Agrawal,. Mining Sequential Patterns: Generalizations and Performance Improvements,. In Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Extending Database Technology (EDBT.96), Avigonon, France, March 1996.Google Scholar
- 3.F. Masseglia, P. Poncelet and M.Teisseire, .Incremental Mining of Sequential Patterns in Large Databases (PS). Actes des 16ièmes Journées Bases de Données Avancées (BDA’00), Blois, France, October 2000.Google Scholar
- 4.S. Parthasarathy, M. J. Zaki, M. Ogihara, and S. Dwarkadas,. Incremental and Interactive Sequence Mining,. In Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Information and Knowledge Management (CIKM.99), pages 251–258, Kansas City, MO, USA, November 1999.Google Scholar
- 5.Cheng H, Yan X, Han J. IncSpan: Incremental Mining of Sequential Patterns in Large Database[C]//Proc. of ACM KDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery in Data. 2004.Google Scholar
- 6.L. Chang, D. Yang, T. Wang, and S. Tang. Imcs: Incremental mining of closed sequential patterns. In G. Dong, X. Lin,W. Wang, Y. Yang, and J. X. Yu, editors, APWeb/WAIM,volume 4505 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 50–61. Springer, 2007.Google Scholar
- 7.Q. Zheng, K. Xu, W.Lv, S.Ma, The Algorithms of Updating Sequential Patterns, The Second SIAM Data mining’2002: Workshop HPDM, Washington, USA, April 2002Google Scholar
- 8.S.D. Lee and D.W. Cheung. Maintenace of discovered association rules: When to update? In proc.1997 ACM-SIGMOD Workshop on Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery(DMKD), Tucson, Arizona, May 1997.Google Scholar
- 9.Chen H,Yang X,Han J.IncSpan: Incremental Mining of Sequential Patterns in Large Database, Proc. Of ACM KDD Conference on Knowledge Discovery in Data, 2004Google Scholar