Group Rings of Quaternion Groups
Part of the Algebra and Applications book series (AA, volume 17)
- 949 Downloads
In this chapter we extend the study of stably free cancellation for Z[F n ×Φ] to the cases where Φ is the quaternion group Q(4m) of order 4m defined by the presentation
Here we find a marked contrast with the dihedral and cyclic cases. We first show by a delicate calculation that Z[C ∞×Q(8)] has infinitely many distinct stably free modules of rank 1. Whilst this result might seem unduly specific, it nevertheless implies a similar conclusion for Z[F n ×Q(8m)] whenever m,n≥1. We conclude with a brief survey of what is known for the group rings Z[F n ×Q(4m)] when m is odd.
$$Q(4m) = \langle x , y \vert x^m = y^2 , xyx = y\rangle.$$
KeywordsGeneralized Quaternion Group Fibre Square Ring Involution Karoubi Principal Ideal Domain
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- 45.Hurwitz, A.: Über die Zahlentheorie der Quaternionen. Collected Works (1896) Google Scholar
- 61.Kamali, P.: Stably free modules over infinite group algebras. Ph.D. Thesis, University College London (2010) Google Scholar
- 67.Lam, T.Y.: Serre’s Problem on Projective Modules. Springer, Berlin (2006) Google Scholar
- 77.O’Meara, O.T.: Introduction to Quadratic Forms. Springer, Berlin (1963) Google Scholar
- 83.Samuel, P.: Algebraic Theory of Numbers. Kershaw, London (1972) Google Scholar
© Springer-Verlag London Limited 2012