No Strings Attached? Managing Conflicts of Interest in Medicine
Conflicts of interest in medicine are common and sometimes unavoidable. While most conflicts involve financial relationships, they may also involve non-financial arrangements such as personal friendships and religious beliefs. Inappropriately influenced decisions, as well as simply the appearance of impropriety, may stem from conflicts of interest. Ethical behavior requires eliminating or managing such conflicts with explicit, formal mechanisms. Appropriate management of these conflicts is illustrated through the use of hypothetical case scenarios.
KeywordsLymphoma Income Expense Psoriasis Dermatitis
- 1.Lo B, Field M. Conflict of interest in medical, research, education and practice. Washington: National Academies Press; 2009.Google Scholar
- 4.Bertok J. Managing conflicts of interest in the public service. Paper presented at: Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development; March 11, 2004, Washington, DC; 2004.Google Scholar
- 7.Code for interactions with companies http://www.cmss.org/codeforinteractions.aspx Accessed 28 Sept 010
- 8.Policy summary: conflict of interest management procedures for clinical practice guidelines. http://www.aad.org/research/guidelines/_doc/COIPolicySummary.pdf. Accessed 22 May 2010.
- 10.42 CFR Part 50 Subpart F. http://grants.nih.gov/grants/compliance/42_cfr_50_subpart_f.htm. Accessed 28 Sept 2010.
- 13.Protecting patients, preserving integrity, advancing health: accelerating the implementation of COI policies in human subjects research. Paper presented at: Association of American Medical Colleges; 2008.Google Scholar
- 20.AdvaMed code of ethics. http://www.advamed.org/memberportal/Shared/ContentMgt/Templates/OpenDetail.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID=%7B9234A42C-8E7F-41E6-9DF4-A2E1D0E57F15%7D&NRORIGINALURL=%2fMemberPortal%2fAbout%2fcode%2f&NRCACHEHINT=NoModifyGuest#AdvaMed%20Code%20of%20Ethics. Accessed 28 Sept 2010.
- 22.2995 NIH Financial conflict of Interest Workgroup Report. http://grants.nih.gov/Grants/policy/regulatoryburden/conflictofinterest.htm. Accessed 28 Sept 2010.
- 23.ICJME uniform requirements for manuscripts submitted to biomedical journals: ethical considerations in the conduct and reporting of research. http://www.icmje.org/ethical_4conflicts.html. Accessed 28 Sept 2010.