In this chapter, the bilinear control strategy for paper machines is discussed based on the characteristics of paper-making process. The bilinear decoupling control, bilinear observer and bilinear optimal control as the typical techniques are discussed. Their applications to the headbox section and drying section of a paper machine, axe presented. Digital simulation and on-site implementation results show that the performance of the bilinear control system is satisfactory.
KeywordsOptimal Control Problem State Feedback Bilinear System Paper Machine Suboptimal Control
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Isidor A., Krener A.J., Gori Giorgi C. and Monaco S. Nonlinear decoupling via feedback: A differential geometric approach. IEEE Trans. Autom. Contr. 1981; AC-26:331–345Google Scholar
- Jacobson D.H. Extension of linear-quadratic control optimization and matrix theory. Academic Press, San Francisco, 1977Google Scholar
- Maghsoodi Y. Design and computation of near-optimal stable observers for bilinear systems. IEEE Proceedings 1989; 136: 127–132Google Scholar
- Mohler R.R. Bilinear Control Processes. Academic Press New York and London, 1973Google Scholar
- Mohler R.R. Nonlinear system - Applications to bilinear control. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, 1991Google Scholar
- Nazar S. and Rekasius Z.V. Decoupling of a class of nonlinear system. IEEE Trans. Autom. Contr. 1971; AC-16:257–260Google Scholar
- Nijmeijer H. and Van der Schaft A.J. Nonlinear dynamical control systems. Springer-Verlag, New York, 1990Google Scholar
- Rao R., Ying Y. and Corbin J. Intelligent engineering approach to pulp and paper process control. Proceeding of CPPA, Montreal, Canada, 1991, pp A195–A199Google Scholar
- Sinha P.K. State feedback decoupling of nonlinear system. IEEE Trans. Autom. Contr. 1977; AC-22:487–489Google Scholar
- Sinha P.K. Multivariable control - An introduction. Marcel Dekker Inc., New York and Basel, 1984Google Scholar
- Ying Y., Rao M. and Sun Y. State-disturbance composite observer for bilinear systems. Proc. of American Control Conference, San Diego, CA, 1990, pp 1917–20Google Scholar
- Ying Y., Rao M. and Sun Y. A new design method for bilinear suboptimal systems. Proc of American Control Conference, Boston, Massachusetts, 1991, pp 1820–1822Google Scholar