In this chapter, the bilinear control strategy for paper machines is discussed based on the characteristics of paper-making process. The bilinear decoupling control, bilinear observer and bilinear optimal control as the typical techniques are discussed. Their applications to the headbox section and drying section of a paper machine, axe presented. Digital simulation and on-site implementation results show that the performance of the bilinear control system is satisfactory.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Isidor A., Krener A.J., Gori Giorgi C. and Monaco S. Nonlinear decoupling via feedback: A differential geometric approach. IEEE Trans. Autom. Contr. 1981; AC-26:331–345Google Scholar
- Jacobson D.H. Extension of linear-quadratic control optimization and matrix theory. Academic Press, San Francisco, 1977Google Scholar
- Maghsoodi Y. Design and computation of near-optimal stable observers for bilinear systems. IEEE Proceedings 1989; 136: 127–132Google Scholar
- Mohler R.R. Bilinear Control Processes. Academic Press New York and London, 1973Google Scholar
- Mohler R.R. Nonlinear system - Applications to bilinear control. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, 1991Google Scholar
- Nazar S. and Rekasius Z.V. Decoupling of a class of nonlinear system. IEEE Trans. Autom. Contr. 1971; AC-16:257–260Google Scholar
- Nijmeijer H. and Van der Schaft A.J. Nonlinear dynamical control systems. Springer-Verlag, New York, 1990Google Scholar
- Rao R., Ying Y. and Corbin J. Intelligent engineering approach to pulp and paper process control. Proceeding of CPPA, Montreal, Canada, 1991, pp A195–A199Google Scholar
- Sinha P.K. State feedback decoupling of nonlinear system. IEEE Trans. Autom. Contr. 1977; AC-22:487–489Google Scholar
- Sinha P.K. Multivariable control - An introduction. Marcel Dekker Inc., New York and Basel, 1984Google Scholar
- Ying Y., Rao M. and Sun Y. State-disturbance composite observer for bilinear systems. Proc. of American Control Conference, San Diego, CA, 1990, pp 1917–20Google Scholar
- Ying Y., Rao M. and Sun Y. A new design method for bilinear suboptimal systems. Proc of American Control Conference, Boston, Massachusetts, 1991, pp 1820–1822Google Scholar