Critical Implementation Decisions for Advanced Manufacturing Technologies
A three year longitudinal field study of ten advanced manufacturing technology (AMT) projects revealed that critical choices face companies during the implementation stage. Those that used a two-tiered transitional structure and those that planned for integration were more likely to meet their AMT goals.
KeywordsMachine Center Advanced Manufacturing Technology Harvard Business Review Critical Choice Implementation Team
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Leonard-Barton, D., & Kraus, W. “Implementing new technology”. Harvard Business Review, 1985 (November-December) 102–110.Google Scholar
- Schon, D.A. “Champions for radical new inventions”. Harvard Business Review, 1963 (March-April) 77–86. Google Scholar
- Chakrabarti, A.K. The role of champion in product innovation. California Management Review, 1974, XVII, 2, 58–62. Google Scholar
- Frohman, A.L. “The performance of innovation: managerial roles”. California Management Review, 1978, XX, 3, 5–13.Google Scholar
- Beatty, C.A. and Gordon, J.R.M. “Preaching the gospel: the evangelists of new technology”. Queen’s University School of Business, Working paper 88–01, 1988a.Google Scholar
- Peters, T.J. & Waterman, R.H. Corporate chariots of fire. Across the Board, 1983, XX, 5, 40–47.Google Scholar
- Leavitt, H.L. Corporate Pathfinders. New York: Penguin, 1987.Google Scholar
- Majchrzak, A. The Human Side of Factory Automation. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1988.Google Scholar
- Bowman, B.L. “Cross-functional collaboration: Teaming for technological change”.In Brown & Hendrick(eds.)Human Factors in Organizational Design and Management, 1986. Vol. 2, New York: Elsevier Science.Google Scholar
- Ettlie, J.E. “Facing the factory of the future”. In Gray and Others (eds.) Strategies and Practices for Technological Innovation. New York: North-Holland, 1986.Google Scholar
- Westcott, B.J. and Eisenhardt, K.M. “The dynamics of process innovation in manufacturing”. Paper presented at the Academy of management meeting, Chicago, 1986.Google Scholar
- Beatty, C.A. The Implementation of Technological Change. Queen’s University at Kingston: Industrial Relations Centre, 1987.Google Scholar