The European System for Digital Terrestrial Television Broadcasting
In the framework of the DVB, RACE dTTb and ACTS VALIDATE European projects, the RAI Research Centre has directly contributed to the definition and validation of the DVB system for digital terrestrial television broadcasting (DVB-T). The system, allowing fixed and portable reception, is based on OFDM technique with a variety of modulation/channel coding configurations, and is characterised by two operational modes: with 2K carriers for conventional multi-frequency networks (MFN), and with 8K carriers to cover also single frequency networks (SFN).
This contribution presents the DVB-T system main features as well as its performance as evaluated through computer simulations and laboratory tests on the second dTTb demonstrator carried out by the RAI Research Centre in the framework of the VALIDATE project.
KeywordsOrthogonal Frequency Division Multiplex Channel Estimation OFDM Symbol Guard Interval Channel Frequency Response
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ETSI, “Digital broadcasting systems for television, sound and data services; framing structure, channel coding and modulation for 11/12 GHz satellite service”, ETS 300421, 1994Google Scholar
- 2.ETSI, “Digital broadcasting systems for television, sound and data services; framing structure, channel coding and modulation for cable systems”, ETS 300429, 1994Google Scholar
- 3.ETSI, “Digital broadcasting systems for television, sound and data services; framing structure, channel coding and modulation for digital terrestrial television”, ETS 300744, 1997Google Scholar
- 4.S.B.Weinstein, and P.M. Ebert: “Data transmission by frequency-division multiplexing using the discrete Fourier transform”, IEEE Transaction on Communications, COM- 19 (5), p. 628–634, October 1971Google Scholar
- 5.Cimini, “Analysis and simulation of a digital mobile channel using Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing”, IEEE Transaction on Communications, COM-33, p. 665–675, July 1985Google Scholar
- 6.M. Alard, R. Lassalle: “Principles of modulation and channel coding for digital broadcasting for mobile receivers”, EBU Technical Review, n. 224, p. 168–190, August 1987Google Scholar
- 7.European Telecommunication Standard: “Radio broadcast systems; Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB) to mobile, portable and fixed receivers”, pr ETS 300 401, November 1994Google Scholar