Analysis of the Self-Similar Characteristics of Broadband Traffic in the Wavelet Domain
In this paper we present a wavelet-based method for the analysis of data traffic exhibiting Long Range Dependence (LRD). A key element in determining network performances is the bursty nature of real traffic patterns and the estimation of the Hurst parameter H, a measure of the long term correlation level, represents a major topic in network dimensioning and management. The goal of this paper consists in analysing the statistical properties of measured traffic streams in the framework of the wavelet decomposition, not only to provide an efficient algorithm for the estimation of H, but also to investigate their behaviour at different time-scales.
KeywordsWavelet Transform Wavelet Packet Fractional Brownian Motion Wavelet Base Mother Wavelet
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Beran J. Statistics for long memory processes. Chapman&Hall, New York, 1992.Google Scholar
- 4.Norros I. Studies on a model for connectionless traffic, based on fractional brownian motion. In Conference on Applied Probability in Engineering, Computer and Communications Sciences, Paris, June 1993. IN- RIA/ORSA/TIMS/SMAI.Google Scholar
- 6.Wornell G.W. Signal Processing with Fractals: a Wavelet-based approach. Signal Procesing Series. Prentice Hall, 1996.Google Scholar
- 10.Norros I. On the use of fractional brownian motion in the theory of connectionless networks. IEEE JSAC, 13: 953–962, 1995.Google Scholar
- 13.Abry P. and Veitch D. Wavelet analysis of long range dependent traffic, (preprint), 1996.Google Scholar
- 14.Giordano S., Miduri S., Pagano M., Russo F., and Tartarelli S. A wavelet- based approach to the estimation of the hurst parameter for self-similar data. In Proceedings of DSP′97, pages 479–482, July 1997.Google Scholar
- 15.Lau W.C., Erramilli A., Wang J.L., and Willinger W. Self-similar traffic generation: The random midpoint displacement algorithm and its properties. In Proceedings of IEEE ICC 95, pages 466–472, Seattle, June 1995.Google Scholar
- 16.Garroppo R.G., Miduri S., Giordano S., Pagano M., and Russo F. Statistical multiplexing of self-similar VBR videoconferencing traffic. In Proceedings of IEEE Globecom 97, Phoenix, November 1997.Google Scholar