Handover Requests Queuing in Low Earth Orbit Mobile Satellite Systems
This paper deals with a study on resource management strategies in Low Earth Orbit Mobile Satellite Systems (LEO-MSSs). A suitable mobility model has been proposed. Fixed Channel Allocation (FCA) and Dynamic Channel Allocation (DCA) have been considered. Moreover, we have foreseen that inter-beam handover requests, which do not immediately find service, can be queued in order to reduce the handover failure rate. Two different queuing disciplines have been assumed. An analytical approach has been developed to compare these queuing strategies and its results have been validated through simulations.
KeywordsHexagonal Expense Iridium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. Del Re. A Coordinated European Effort for the Definition of a Satellite Integrated Environment for Future Mobile Communications. IEEE Communications Magazine, pp. 98–104, February 1996.Google Scholar
- 2.E. Del Re. Satellite System Integrated with the Terrestrial Cellular Network for Mobile Communications. ESA Tech. Rep., ESA STR-228, August 1989.Google Scholar
- 3.E. Del Re. Objectives and research activities of COST 227 Project - Integrated Space/Terrestrial Mobile Networks. RACE Mobile Telecommunications Workshop, pp. 590–597, May 17–19, 1994, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.Google Scholar
- 4.J. L. Grubb. IRIDIUM Overview. IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 29, No. 11, November 1991.Google Scholar
- 6.D. Hong, S. S. Rappaport. Traffic Model and Performance Analysis for Cellular Mobile Radio Telephone Systems with Prioritized and Nonprioritized Handoff Procedures. IEEE Trans. on Veh. Tech., Vol. VT-35, No. 3, pp. 77–92, August 1986.Google Scholar
- 7.V. H. MacDonald. The Cellular Concept. Bell Syst. Tech. J., Vol. 58, pp. 15–41, January 1979.Google Scholar
- 8.ITU-T Recommendation E.771. Network Grade of Service Parameters and Target Values for Circuit-Switched Land Mobile Services. ITU-T, 1994.Google Scholar
- 9.Tai-Po Chu and S. Rappaport. Overlapping Coverage and Channel Rearrangement in Microcellular Communication Systems. Proceedings of IEEE GLOBECOM ‘84, pp. 1674–1678, San Francisco, California, November 28 - December 2, 1994.Google Scholar
- 10.E. Del Re, R. Fantacci, G. Giambene. An Efficient Technique for Dynamically Allocating Channels in Satellite Cellular Networks. Proceedings of IEEE GLOBECOM ‘85, pp. 1624–1628, Singapore, November 13–17, 1995Google Scholar
- 12.Yi-Bing Lin, Li-Fang Chang, A. Noerpel. Modeling Hierarchical Microcell/Macrocell PCS Architecture. IEEE ICC’95, pp. 405–409, Seattle, June 1995.Google Scholar