Managing “Risky” Projects
In today’s modern society there is an increasing demand for “safer” products which have to meet increasingly demanding standards. The management of “risk” is a major factor in ensuring that a product can meet its design objectives as well as satisfying the required standards and, what is more important, meeting the need.
This paper aims to set out some practical steps to managing and minimising “risk”, as the tongue-in-cheek title suggests. The paper does not set out a prescriptive approach to eliminating risk, but sets out a practical process and approach to minimising the risk within technical and commercial boundaries.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1 [RoSPA]Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents statistics.Google Scholar
- 2 [Lamia, et al]Lamia, W., Pandelios, G., Introduction to Software Development Risk Management, Research Access Inc..Google Scholar
- 3 [Charette 88]Charette, Robert N., Software Engineering Risk Analysis and Management New York: McGraw-Hill, 1988.Google Scholar
- 4 [Jacques & Clement 91]Jacques and Clement (1991) Executive Leadership, Cason Hall & Co., Arlington VA..Google Scholar
- 5 [Handy 89]Handy, C (1989) The Age of Unreason, Business Books.Google Scholar
- 6 [Tannenbaum & Schmidt 58]Tannenbaum, R., and Schmidt, W., (1958) How to Choose a Leadership Pattern, Harvard Business Review, March-April pp 95-101.Google Scholar
- 7 [deBono]deBono, E., (1990) Lateral Thinking for Management, Penguin Books, pg 115 onwards, and (1992) Serious Creativity, Harper Collins, pg 145 onwards.Google Scholar
- 8 [Kakabadse 91]Kakabadse, A., (1991), The Wealth Creators: Top People, Top Teams & Executive Best Practice, Kogan Page.Google Scholar
- 9 [Tuckman and Jensen 77]Tuckman, B., and Jensen, M., (1977) Stages of Small Group Development Revisited, Groups and Organisations Study, Vol. 2.Google Scholar
- 10 [Hertzberg 72]Hertzberg, F., (1972), “One More Time: How Do You Motivate Employees?”, and Davis, L. and Taylor, J., (EDS) Design of Jobs, Penguin, London.Google Scholar
- 11 [Morgan]Morgan, Organisations as Political Systems.Google Scholar