The Diagnosis of Solid Renal and Adrenal Masses by Aspiration Cytology
The first series of ultrasonographically guided percutaneous fine needle aspiration biopsies (FNAB) of solid renal masses was reported by Kristensen et al. In 1972 . Technical improvements and wider access to ultrasonography (US) and computed tomography (CT) have made needle biopsy of deep lesions relatively easy. This is reflected by the large number of series of FNAB of renal and other deep masses reported in the literature in recent years (see Table 33.2). At the same time, it has been argued that modern radiological techniques, particularly CT, have such a high diagnostic accuracy by themselves that a tissue diagnosis may not often be necessary. In this chapter, our local experience at the Flinders Medical Centre (FMC) and the experience reported in the literature are reviewed in order to evaluate the role of aspiration cytology in the routine preoperative investigation of suspected solid renal and adrenal masses.
KeywordsRenal Cell Carcinoma Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy Renal Cyst Adrenal Mass Cytological Diagnosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Linsk JA, Franzen S (1984) Aspiration cytology of metastatic hypernephroma. Acta Cytol 28:256–260Google Scholar
- 7.Edgren J, Taskinen E, Alfthan O, Makinen J, Juusela H (1975) Radiology and fine needle aspiration biopsy in the diagnosis of tumours of the kidney. Ann Chir Gynaecol 64:209–216Google Scholar
- 17.Zajicek J (1979) Aspiration biopsy cytology, part 2. Cytology of infradiaphragmatic organs. Karger, Basel (Monographs in clinical cytology, vol. 7)Google Scholar
- 23.Vilaplana E (1980) Cytology of special sites: kidney. In: Proceedings of the 7th international congress of cytology, Munich, Federal Republic of Germany, 19–22 May 1980Google Scholar
- 25.Porter B, Karp W, Forsberg L (1981) Percutaneous cyto-diagnosis of abdominal masses by ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration biopsy. Acta Radiol [Diagn] (Stockh) 22:663–668Google Scholar
- 29.Droese M, Altmannsberger M, Kehl A, Lankisch PG, Weiss R, Weber K, Osborn M (1984) Ultrasound-guided percutaneous fine needle aspiration biopsy of abdominal and retroperitoneal masses: accuracy of cytology in the diagnosis of malignancy, cytologic tumour typing and the use of antibodies to intermediate filaments in selected cases. Acta Cytol 28:368–384PubMedGoogle Scholar