Mediators in Acute Lung Injury: The Whole Body Inflammatory Response Hypothesis
A wide variety of extrapulmonary events such as major sepsis, burns, fat embolism, multiple trauma and pancreatitis may initiate an acute lung injury with the development of the adult respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) (Anon. 1985). This same phenomenon, though usually in a much less severe form, has been observed in the controlled therapeutic situations of haemodialysis (Craddock et al. 1977), cardiopulmonary bypass (Westaby 1983) and nylon fibre leucapheresis (Nusbacher et al. 1978) where blood traverses a number of allegedly biocompatible foreign surfaces.
KeywordsSurfactant Pancreatitis Histamine Neutropenia Thrombin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anonymous (1985) Adult respiratory distress syndrome. Lancet I:301–303.Google Scholar
- Cochrane CG, Spragg RG, Davat SD, Cohen AB, McGuire WW (1984) The presence of neutrophil elastase and evidence of oxidant activity in broncho-alveolar lavage fluid of patients with adult respiratory distress syndrome. Am Rev Respir Dis [Suppl] 127:25–27.Google Scholar
- Gavasocchi NC, Pluth JR, Schaff HV, Orszulak TA, Homburger HA, Solis E, Kaye MP, Clancy MS, Kolff J, Deeb GM (1986) Complement activation during cardiopulmonary bypass: comparison of bubble and membrane oxygenators. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 91:252–258.Google Scholar
- Harada RV, Vatter AE, Repine JE (1983) Oxygen radical scavengers protect alveolar macrophages from hyperoxic injury in vitro. Am Rev Respir Dis 128:552–559.Google Scholar
- Ratliffe NB, Young WA, Hackel DB, Mikat E, Wilson JW (1973) Pulmonary injury secondary to extracorporeal circulation. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 65:425.Google Scholar
- Royston D, Fleming JS, Westaby S, Taylor KM (1986) Increased production of peroxidation products associated with open heart surgery: evidence for free radical generation. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg (in press).Google Scholar
- Westaby S, Fleming J, Royston D (1984b) Evidence for generation of free radical species during cardiopulmonary bypass in man. In: Hagl S, Klovekorn WP, Mayr N, Sebering F (eds) Thirty years of extracorporeal circulation. Deutches Herzzentrum, Munich, p 389.Google Scholar