The Design of a High Performance MMW Radar System for Autonomous Land Vehicle Navigation
This paper describes the design of a high performance 77GHz millimetre wave radar, signal processing and control system for use in autonomous vehicle navigation. The radar front end and intermediate frequency components are described together with a method of distinguishing pre-placed target beacons from other reflectors using the polarisation of the reflected signal. Digital signal processing hardware is described which allows reflected signal power to be determined at incremental distances from the radar. A control unit maintains a constant rotational velocity of a deflector plate positioned above the aperture and reads the azimuth of each radar sweep. In this way, range and bearing measurements are available to update a Kaiman filter estimating vehicle location as it navigates around an environment.
KeywordsIntermediate Frequency Direct Memory Access Constant False Alarm Rate Corner Reflector Deflector Plate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. I. Skolnik, “Introduction to Radar Systems Second edition,” McGrawHil,l 1980Google Scholar
- H. Durrant-Whyte, “Proposal for the development of a 77GHz Radar Positioning System,” Firefly Ltd., November 12 1992Google Scholar
- R. E. Collin, “Foundations for microwave engineering,” McGraw-Hill International Editions, second edition, 1992Google Scholar
- R. G. Carter, “Electromagnetic waves,” Chapman and hall, 1990Google Scholar
- A. M. B0ifot, E. Lier, T. Schaug-Pettersen, “Simple and Broadband Orthomode transducer,” IEE Proceedings, volume 137, Pt. H, No. 6, December 1990Google Scholar
- C. G. Montgommery, “Principles of microwave circuits,” Radiation Laboratory series, McGraw Hill, 1948Google Scholar
- C. Currie, “Principles and applications of mmWave radar,” Artech House, 1987Google Scholar
- G. Linfield, J. Penny, “Numerical methods using MATLAB,” Ellis Horwood, 1995Google Scholar
- R E Ziemer, W H Tranter and D R Fannin, “Signals and Systems continuos and discrete,” Macmillan, 1993Google Scholar
- E. Kreyszig, “Advanced Engineering Mathematics seventh edition,” Wiley, 1993Google Scholar
- D. Langer, “An integrated MMW radar system for outdoor navigation,” proceedings of the 1996 IEEE International conference on robotics and automation, Minneapolis, Minnesota, April 1996Google Scholar