Multiband Fractal Antennas and Arrays
Antennas and antenna arrays are essentially narrowband devices. Their characteristic size determines their operating wavelength. Fractal structures, having no characteristic size and a multiscale self-similar shape, are suggested for the design of multifrequency antennas and arrays. The multiband properties of some fractal arrays and array factors are presented here. Experimental results on multiband fractal antennas are described as well. Fractal antennas are shown to display a multiband behavior from both the return-loss and radiation pattern points of view.
KeywordsZinc Convolution Lution Azimuth Copper Sulphate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mandelbrot, B.B. (1983): The Fractal Geometry of Nature. W.H. Freeman and Company.Google Scholar
- 2.Peitgen, H.O., Jürgens, H., Saupe, D. (1990): Chaos and Fractals, New Frontiers of Science. Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- 3.Jaggard, D.L. (1990): On Fractal Electrodynamics. In Recent Advances in Electromagnetic Theory, H.N.Kritikos, 183–224, D.L.Jaggard Editors; Springer Verlag.Google Scholar
- 7.Cohen, N., Hohlfeld, R.G. (1996): Fractal Loops And The Small Loop Approximation. Communications Quarterly, 77–81.Google Scholar
- 8.Cohen, N. (1996): Fractal and Shaped Dipoles. Communications Quarterly, 25–36.Google Scholar
- 10.Rumsey, V.H. (1966): Frequency Independent Antennas. Academic Press.Google Scholar
- 11.Puente, C. (1993): Fractal Design of Multiband Antenna Arrays. Elec. Eng. Dept. Univ. Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, ECE 477 term project.Google Scholar
- 12.Puente, C, Pous, R. (1996): Fractal Design of Multiband and Low Side-Lobe Arrays. IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 44, No. 5, 1–10.Google Scholar
- 15.Goutelard, C. (1992): Fractal theory of large arrays of lacunar antennas. Electromagnetic Wave Propagation Panel Symposium (AGARD-CP-528), 35, 1–15, (in french).Google Scholar
- 17.Puente, C., Romeu, J., Pous, R., Cardama, A. (1996): On the Behavior of the Sierpinski multiband fractal antenna. IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propag, (Submitted).Google Scholar