Shop Controllers-Managers for Intelligent Manufacturing
Intelligent manufacturing has been consolidating over the past ten years as a suitable means for sustaining competitiveness of industrialised Countries. The chapter presents contributions related to activity in the field done by the Industrial Robot Design Research Group of the University of Genova, aiming at the development of expert controllers-and-managers for shop-floor operations, to fully exploit flexibility. Starting points have been: • the recognition of innovating potentiality supported by the technological versatility of robotic fixtures ; and: • the need of re-stating the work-organisation through knowledge intensive set-ups  to comply with society-driven requests that in recent time have modified workers-market and trade-unions demands.
KeywordsIntelligent Manufacturing Adaptive Governor Factory Automation Predictive Maintenance Flexible Specialisation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R.C. Michelini, R.M. Molfino, G.M. Acaccia: “Automazione di fabbrica: Robotizzazione dei processi manifatturieri”, L’Industria Meccanica, n° 387, sett. 1984, pp. 589–600.Google Scholar
- G.M. Acaccia, R.C. Michelini, R.M. Molfino: “Automazione di fabbrica: Sistemi integrati di lavorazione”, Il Progettista Industriale, n° 7, sett. 1984, pp. 68–79.Google Scholar
- R.C. Michelini: “Decision anthropocentric manifold for flexible manufacturing”, 4th ASME Intl. Symp. on Flexible Automation, San Francisco, July 12th–15th, 1992, pp. 467–474.Google Scholar
- R.C. Michelini, G. Kovacs: “Knowledge organisation and govern-for-flexibility in manufacturing”, 3rd Intl. Conf. on Cooperative Knowledge Processing for Engineering Problem Solving, Rovereto (Italy), May 29th–June 1st, 1994, pp. 801–826.Google Scholar
- R.C. Michelini, F. Pampagnin, R.P. Razzoli: “Capire e gestire il controllo di qualità”, IX Conv. Naz. ADM, Caserta, 27–29 sett. 1995, pp. 273–283.Google Scholar
- R.C. Michelini, F. Pampagnin, R.P. Razzoli: “Lean engineering and performance measurement in flexible manufacturing”, 27th ISATA Lean/Agile Manufacturing, Aachen, Oct. 31st–Nov. 4th, 1994, pp. 279–286.Google Scholar
- R.C. Michelini, G.M. Acaccia, M. Callegari, R.M. Molfino, R.P. Razzoli: “Knowledge-based emulation-simulation for flexible automation manufacturing”, Eurosim Congress’ 95, TU Vienna, Sept. 11th–15th, 1995, pp. 1259–1264.Google Scholar
- G.M. Acaccia, R.C. Michelini, R.M. Molfino: “Knowledge-based simulators in flexible manufacturing”, 2nd Intl. Conf. Applications of Artificial Intelligence in Engineering, Boston, Aug. 4th–7th, 1987.Google Scholar
- G.M. Acaccia, R.C. Michelini, R.M. Molfino, P.A. Piaggio: “X-SIFIP: a knowledge-based special-purpose simulator for the development of flexible manufacturing cells”, IEEE Intl. Conf. Robotics & Automation, San Francisco, April 7th–10th, 1986, pp. 645–653.Google Scholar
- R.C. Michelini, G.M. Acaccia, M. Callegari, R.M. Molfino: “Flexible manufacturing by integrated control and management”, in: M.B. Zaremba, B. Prasad Eds.: ‘Modern Manufacturing: Control & Technology’, Springer Verlag, London, 1994, pp. 225–253.Google Scholar
- G.M. Acaccia, R.C. Michelini, R.M. Molfino, A. Ragonese: “Maintenance model and failure analysis for a flexible manufacturing cell”, 7th IASTED Intl. Conf. Modelling, Identification & Control, Grindelwald (Switzerland), Feb. 16th–18th, 1988, pp. 80–86.Google Scholar