Formal Verification of Safety Requirements on Complex Systems
In this paper we present a logical characterization, by means of ACTL formulae, of safety requirements to be formally verified over safety critical complex systems. In this class of systems the formal verification of requirements is often hardened by state explosion problems. To deal with this problem, the characterization we propose allows the satisfiability of a safety requirement over a complex system to be derived by its satisfiability over those component subsystems that are directly involved in the given requirement. The proposed methodology has been successfully used for the formal verification of safety requirements of a particular system, that is a railway computer based signalling control system.
KeywordsAssure SIlt Prefix Subsys
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bowen, J.P., Hinchey, M.G, Seven More Myths of Formal Methods, IEEE Software, 12, July 1995, pp. 34–41.Google Scholar
- A. Anselmi, C. Bernardeschi, A. Fantechi, S. Gnesi, S. Larosa, G. Mongardi, F. Torielli. An experience in formal verification of safety properties of a railway signalling control system. Proceedings of the SAFECOMP’95 Conference, Belgirate, Springer - Verlag, 1995, pp. 474–488.Google Scholar
- A. Bouali, S. Gnesi, S. Larosa. The integration Project for the JACK Environment. Bulletin of the EATCS, n.54, October 1994, pp.207–223.Google Scholar
- C. Da Silva, B. Dehbonei, F. Mejia. Formal Specification in the Development of Industrial Applications: Subway Speed Control System. Formal Description Techniques, V (C-10) M. Diaz and R. Groz (Editors) Elsevier Science Publishers B, V, (North-Holland), 1993.Google Scholar
- Boudol, G Notes on Algebraic Calculi of Processes. Notes on Algebraic Calculi of Processes, NATO ASI Series F13, 1985.Google Scholar
- De Nicola, R., Vaandrager, F W., Action versus State based Logics for Transition Systems, in Proceedings Ecole de Printemps on Semantics of Concurrency Lecture Notes in Computer Science 469, Springer-Verlag, 1990, pp. 407–419.Google Scholar
- G. Mongardi. Dependable Computing for Railway Control Systems, in Dependable Computing for Critical Applications 3, Dependable Computing and Fault-Tolerant Systems 8, Springer-Verlag, 1992, pp. 255–277.Google Scholar