MHEG-5 common application interface for broadcast and interactive services
As the world is becoming more connected, there is an ever increasing demand for new multimedia services. Their emergence is being favored by deregulation and converging technologies. In this scenario, standards are essential for delivering multimedia applications across heterogeneous platforms. The ISO MHEG-5 standard specifies an encoding format for multimedia applications independently of service paradigms, system architectures, and network protocols. It targets both the broadcast and the interactive domains, and is effective also on low-cost terminals, like set-top-boxes. The paper gives an overview of MHEG-5, describes the implementation of a run-time presentation engine, and illustrates the use of the standard in the emerging domain of interactive television.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ISO/IEC International Standard 13522–5: Information Technology—Coding of multimedia and hypermedia information - Part 5: Support for base-level interactive applications, 1996.Google Scholar
- 2.ISO/IEC International Standard 13522–6: Information Technology—Coding of multimedia and hypermedia information - Part 6: Support for enhanced interactive applications, 1998.Google Scholar
- 3.DAVIC 1.0 Specifications, Revision 5.0, December 1995.Google Scholar
- 4.ISO/IEC International Standard 13818–6: Information Technology—Generic coding of moving pictures and associated audio information, Part 6: Digital Storage Media Command and Control, 1996.Google Scholar
- 5.ETSI 300 468 Ed.2: Digital Broadcasting systems for television, sound and data services, Specification for Service Information (SI) in Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB) systems, 1997.Google Scholar
- 6.S. Dal Lago, G. Franceschini, P. Marchisio, M. Mesturino, E. Polese, G. Venuti, “ARMIDA™: Multimedia Applications across ATM-based Networks accessed via Internet Navigation”, Multimedia Tools and Applications, Vol. 5, No. 2, September 1997.Google Scholar
- 7.M. Echiffre, C. Marchisio, P. Marchisio, P. Panicciari, S. Del Rossi, “MHEG-5—Aims, Concepts, and Implementation Issues”, IEEE Multimedia, Vol. 5, No. 1, January–March 1998.Google Scholar
- 8.MHEG-5 Users Group Home Page: http://www.fokus.gmd.de/ovma/mug.